Every 2-3 days a crash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
We had a power surge one day, and it seems that after it, everything has gone to heck with my dual G5 in which i'm using as a file server. Ever since then, i have been getting kernel panics, and after them, the OS won't boot. So i have been reinstalling the OS from the dual layer DVD i have od Leopard server. It runs fine for a few days, then it crashes. At first, i thought it was a Lacie firewire 800 card i had installed, so i removed that, but it still happened a few days later. Then i throught it was my firewire 800 drive i had plugged in, removed that, reinstalled the OS, and it worked for a few days until the point i'm at now. I was transferring files over my home network to the 3TB hard drive i have in it, and then about an hour later, the computer crashes and reboots itself. I came down to check on it, and it was at the apple start screen with the spinning wheel. It then rebooted itself 3x until it froze at the spinning wheel again for minutes.

I then tried again to boot, except with the OS DVD in, and it actually was able to boot to the desktop, I tried to open the crash report, but that crashed for some reason. I then went into Onyx to test the drive, and it said that the verification failed, and to reboot with the OS DVd to fix them. I'm in the process of verifying the disk permissions, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and then gives a kernel panic. So what could this mean?

Is my boot hard drive bad? Like, what can cause a kernel panic to not allow the computer to boot again? It seems like this keeps happening when i write to the drive from a rmeote location, but not on the computer itself. And when i access the files through my LAN, just reading them, there's never a problem. Before that power surge in the house, I had it running without a problem for about 6 months. The only difference now is that i updated to security update 2011-004 when before i didn't. Could that be a factor too?

If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be great.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Two things are a possibility: First, the hard drive probably should be replaced and second, after the power surge the power supply in the G5 may have taken a hit. A bad or intermittent power supply will cause reboots. Replace the hard drive first since that's easier but also keep an eye on the PS.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Would it make any sense that when the drive is being written to over wireless, which is considerably slow here, that i have problems. But reading from and writing to the computer, whether it's on the computer itself or over the gigabit connection i have, there's no problem at all? Tomorrow, i'm going to rebuild it on another drive and see if that will remedy it, but just the fact that it can't boot off the install disc is kind of odd.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.