Problems with Migration Assistant and Mac profiles -- How to fix?

Reaction score
I set up my account and THEN used Migration Assistant. When it was done (16 hours later) I had 3 profiles on my desktop the one I created, another that was named after the username (I didn't realize this at first) from my Dell Laptop (migrating from) and one called Guest User.

When I opened the ID I created for the MacBook Pro -- the files were no where to be found. I came here and found a thread that said it may be downloaded to a different profile and to check the "Users" area (I could not find this "Users" area in the "Finders" tab), so I logged out and then chose a profile to log back into, I clicked on the Dell transferred Username which opened right up and all my files were there.

BUT NOW. . .the problem is -- I want these files under my newly created ID. How can I move them over to the right user now?

Please help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most new users make the same mistake when applying the Migration Assistant - that is setting up an account first and then migrating. Probably something Apple could better qualify in their instructions.

Anyway, what's done is done. What you can do is log on to the Admin account you setup (the account you wish to keep). From that account, access the old Dell account and copy everything over to the account you wish to keep. Once you have verified that everything is copied over and working, you can delete the Dell account.

Don't mess with the Guest account as that was provided by the system and should remain.

OP
N
Reaction score
How do I access the Dell account from the new one -- I couldn't find the "Users" option in my "Finder" in order to see the other "users." Doesn't seem intuitive and the instructions I found by Googling say to look in "Finder," but like I said -- it's not an option.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your old Dell account should have a name, probably the same name when it was present on the Dell. Do you see that name when you open your Finder? It should be listed on the side bar along with your new account.

On the side bar in the Finder, click on "MacIntosh HD". Now click on "users" and move the down arrow until you see both profiles; your old Dell profile and your new profile that you created. Let us know if you can see them both.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks! Nevermind. . .

Nevermind my reply -- I kept fiddling with it and found in preferences where I could make the "Users" window show up. Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Migration Assistant stopped connecting during transfer!

Hello,
I'm also a new user to MBP and also made the same mistake of setting up my account first on MBP and then transferring my files from my Dell Laptop. What makes matters worse is for some reason during the transfer (200 GB worth) my Dell laptop stopped connecting to my MBP before it had completed the transfer. I followed the instructions and turned on automatic updating on both computers, connected with ethernet cable and turned off Wi Fi and picked NEVER for computer sleep on both computers. I had to cancel the transfer as my Dell laptop could not connect to the MBP. When I checked the HD on my MBP, I had used up approx 200 GB of storage but did not see any other username except my newly created MBP ID and guest username. I also could not find where these files are located. Can someone tell me how I can look up what was transferred? Is there anyway of going back and starting from scratch and transferring the data from my old computer and then creating the new ID. Can I also delete what was already transferred so I don't duplicate data?

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.