Help! I accidentially put my main user account in the trash.

Reaction score
When I tried taking it out, it was asking for my pass-code. However, it's all in the trash. Now my computer won't boot up. It's got a gray screen & never goes anywhere.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
1) What OS version are you running?
2) Do you have your OS Disks (or a bootable copy for Lion or Mtn Lion)?
3) Do you have a backup of your files?
4) Can you give a few more details about your Mac, and also what you were doing when you got into this mess?

OP
C
Reaction score
1) I believe I'm running either Mountain Lion OS 10.6 or 10.8 (one of them for sure)

2) I don't have any CD Disk (but I do have a dmg installed on my external hard drive) I was wondering if there was any way to use target disk mode to install it or trouble shoot it.

3) I do have my files backed up on the same external drive.

4) What actually got me in the mess in the first place was --- I noticed I had two user accounts. (a
mac repair shop who set this up gave me a new hard drive with my old files on there & set up a new account) I didn't think my computer was using that particular account as the main account and thought that if I put it into the trash, I could simply take if back out. However, it turned out that it was actually my main account. Then it was asking me for my pass-code, but is in the trash.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
1) I believe I'm running either Mountain Lion OS 10.6 or 10.8 (one of them for sure)

2) I don't have any CD Disk (but I do have a dmg installed on my external hard drive) I was wondering if there was any way to use target disk mode to install it or trouble shoot it.

3) I do have my files backed up on the same external drive.

4) What actually got me in the mess in the first place was --- I noticed I had two user accounts. (a
mac repair shop who set this up gave me a new hard drive with my old files on there & set up a new account) I didn't think my computer was using that particular account as the main account and thought that if I put it into the trash, I could simply take if back out. However, it turned out that it was actually my main account. Then it was asking me for my pass-code, but is in the trash.
Try booting into Recovery Partition (Hold Command + R while Booting). then if you have all of your files on the external drive you can restore (reinstall the OS) and then use Migration Assistant to transfer files.

OP
C
Reaction score
I appreciate the insight as to holding down the (command + r) while booting, unfortunately it did not work. The apple shows up, but just keeps spinning, but never goes anywhere. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Xserve, iMAC, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPAD 2, Iphone 4s
if you used carbon copy on the the external u could boot up in target mode i dont believe the dmg file will boot up that way

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.