Lost Back Button in Safari

Reaction score
Lost the back(and forward) buttons/arrows in Safari 6.0.2 on my MacBookPro running Lion 10.7.5. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
right click the top line of the browser

select Customize toolbar

drag whatever you want onto the toolbar

OP
E
Reaction score
Many thanks bobtomay. Iv'e just tried this but ..... when I click on customize toolbar the two buttons appear to be already there but as soon as I click "done" and the drop down menu disappears, so do the back/forward buttons. I tried dragging the buttons as suggested to another part of the toolbar and they appear there but again, as soon a s I click "done" they disappear again. HELP!

OP
E
Reaction score
Tried again and now discovered that the back/forward button appear again when I go to what I think is full screen mode (when I click on the two opposing diagonal arrows in the top RH corner of the window/toolbar which is a help but also very inconvenient as I cannot then see anything on my desktop.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
right click the top line of the toolbar

uncheck Hide Toolbar

OP
E
Reaction score
HooRah! - Think I've got it! I'm a total dumbo! I had "hide toolbar" selected! So nothing in the toolbar was visible - The only thing I actually missed was the back/forward button. So your right click tip solved it for me - that's when I noticed that the "hide toolbar" was selected. Thanks for your help bobtomay and forgive my ignorance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sometimes the hardest things to find are right in front of us. :)

Reaction score
Finally, crikey!
Messing with everything on the keyboard. There's a key here on left side of the space bar labeled "Alt Gr". Never noticed it before. Clicked on it and it restored my menu bar! Now I can access everything including all the various toolbars!

Hurray!

One good thing: I found this forum. I do have iPods and and iPhone so I have this site available for any Apple troubles.... including anything that may come up on Safari--which I really do like. Firefox hogs too much memory, among other issues.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Sorry, one more quick note that indicates how strange this is and perhaps someone else will face this issue.

I have to keep clicking on that Alt Gr button. I have the menu items and once I am finished doing whatever, menu bar disappears again! (One of the available items is "Hide menu bar." But it IS hidden! Strange...)

Strange but at least I can work with this. If this rings a bell with anyone, please let me know!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.