ipod mini dock question

Reaction score
My ipod mini has been rebuilt once about 2 yrs. ago. The battery now holds a charge for about 15 minutes. Now that winter is here and it's consistently below freezing in my area, I can't plug it into my car's power outlet (my car, my truck, my wife's car all the same) without it shutting off immediately and needing to be reset and recharged from a house outlet. So I'm wondering if one of the many speaker docks will work to keep it running, not charging but just running or is charging all they're designed to do. Basically I wonder if a speaker dock can become a home stereo or is it time to junk this ipod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It could be just a bad battery in the iPod causing the issue.

OP
S
Reaction score
It could be just a bad battery in the iPod causing the issue.

Is there an app, other than itunes, that can test it? And just to clarify, I've run the testing procedure listed on Apple Support. I'm not looking for one of the apps that gives a more accurate reading of the battery, but one that can tell me if the iPod itself is properly charging or can tell the battery is definitely bad.

OP
S
Reaction score
Either the cold weather is just a coincidence or plugging into the car power in the cold did something because I've just had the iPod charged on a power outlet in house. When it registered fully charged I plugged it into my iMac and tried to set all the songs to a lower bit rate and the Mac kicked the iPod off the system, sent me the "don't disconnect without ejecting" error message and now the iPod registers no charge. Battery for sure?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Very likely a bad battery. I had the same thing happen to my iPod Mini and it was a bad battery. It also had a defective hard drive that I replaced previously. It finally went altogether when my wife dropped it. Bad logic board.

The ifixit web site has a good tutorial on how to replace the battery yourself. Just be careful opening up the case so you don't damage it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Very likely a bad battery. I had the same thing happen to my iPod Mini and it was a bad battery. It also had a defective hard drive that I replaced previously. It finally went altogether when my wife dropped it. Bad logic board.

The ifixit web site has a good tutorial on how to replace the battery yourself. Just be careful opening up the case so you don't damage it.

I've found 3 very good tutorials on how to do it, from the Instructables web site. I've ordered the battery replacement kit from Amazon, so hopefully I can get it done by this time next week.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.