One minor concern

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
My new rMBP should be arriving in a day or two and I have a concern regarding recovery.

Will I get an option to make a recovery disc of some kind even though it doesn't have a dvd drive? Presumably there's a recovery partition on these but my concern is that should the hard drive fail how will I recover my system without alternative media?
And would it boot from a usb superdrive?
I ask as I don't think it comes with any discs.

Thanks and a Happy New Year to all! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
One advantage of Mac's supplied with newer OS's is there's no more lost install DVD's, that used to be a common occurrence. If you have the need to reinstall your OS, this can be done from the recovery partition. If your hard drive was to fail, you can restore either a Time Machine backup or a Carbon Copy Cloner clone. If you think you'll never need to restore from a backup, not a wise move, you can, with a new hard drive fitted, press command R at boot up, and install Mountain Lion over the web from Apple. When you do this a check is made against your Mac's S/N to verify what OS was originally supplied. This option doesn't give you the option to save the installer before installing, unlike downloads from the app store. A backup drive isn't expensive and is a wise option for many reasons.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Aha! There's an internet option nowadays and that's from the boot into recovery option. Interesting, thanks. Presumably that's quite long-winded, depending on your internet connection (not to mention an unbroken download of a few gigs).
At least it's a way round a serious problem.

I have a couple of backup drives and a dedicated Time Machine Tardis so I should be ok.
Would a restore from TM replace the recovery partition too?

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.