I can't make network drives stick

Reaction score
I have a MBP ethernet connected to my LAN which has 3 ReadyNAS boxes on it. One NAS share is my photo collection.

My Mac keeps dropping the network connections after some arbitrary timeout. With Windows, I mapped a network share to a drive letter and it was always there. Not so with Mac. I could be in Lightroom, make the connection to the NAS and all is well. I will then take a break and come back an hour later and there is no access to the NAS. Usually it is possible to reconnect, but not always.

I've tried Google to find an answer, but have not been successful.

How can I create a persistent network connection that does not drop out with time? Ever!

Thanks in advance,

OP
P
Reaction score
Possibly, although I think sometimes I might be spending an hour or more say, sorting emails, (not sleeping), and the I want to file something to discover that the NAS is disconnected from the MBP.

Suggestions?

Reaction score
Do you have the ReadyNas set up with Disk sleep mode enabled. It could be that the Netgear is actually putting the disks to sleep from inactivity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
this is the tutorial I have used. Mac Os X: Mount NFS Share / Set an NFS Client . I have a NAS set up on a Mac Mini running Ubuntu. I did have a problem with it dropping the network connection. It seems that the Mini didn't like the 5GHz wireless connection. Now that I have switched to the 2.4Ghz wireless, everything seems to be fine.

OP
P
Reaction score
this is the tutorial I have used. Mac Os X: Mount NFS Share / Set an NFS Client . ...

Thanks for your guidance.

I am not using WiFi, but Gigabit Ethernet, and wanted to use AFP (Apple File Protocol) instead of NFS, however I decided to try to follow the steps described in the url.

I was able to establish NFS connections, but how does this differ from just using the GUI to click under SHARED, on the NAS alias and then Connect?

Re: NAS putting disks to sleep. I would have thought that it would still maintain the connection and wake the disks, when necessary, no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
it appears so. from what i've learned about NFS, your server would spin down the drives and awake when accessed via network. as for the right clicking and sharing part, that is a function of windows or samba sharing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.