Using terminal to move files in a specific directory to a new location.

Reaction score
Hello, there guys. This is my first post here, and I just wanted to thank you all for the valuable information you have provided to me in the past prior to my registration.

Now, I have something that perplexes me. I am not a very proficient terminal user. In fact, I hardly use it at all, but I know it is a very powerful low level manipulation tool. I have read other forum posts regarding how to do this sort of thing, but after "cd"ing to the folder location where I perform a find a move operation, it tells me that I'm not using find properly.

What I am attempting to do is move all files from a specific directory into a new directory that have the filetype extension .flac. Here is the command the the error message I have been using and getting, respectively:
find -name *.flac -exec utility mv{} /Desktop/Beethoven \;
find: illegal option -- n
usage: find [-H | -L | -P] [-EXdsx] [-f path] path ... [expression]
find [-H | -L | -P] [-EXdsx] -f path [path ...] [expression]

Again, I had already cd'd to the directory I need to move the files from. There are about 100 separate folders I am attempting to search at the directory level I'm at, each representing a different disc of music.

Okay, let me be really situationally specific. I downloaded 100 discs worth of music into my iTunes folder. The album name is "Ludwig van Beethoven - Complete Works [Brilliant Classics 100 CD Box] 2" and the full directory location to the album is "/Users/thomasjeffinger/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Ludwig van Beethoven - Complete Works [Brilliant Classics 100 CD Box] 2". I want to search this folder's contained within this folder for files containing .flac extensions, and move them to a folder on my desktop called "Beethoven". What command in terminal would use to do that?

Thanks!

- Alpha Spartan A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
your find is wrong
Try this first
Code:
find . -name '*.flac' -print

That should show you all the flac files in your directory

I believe it should be

Code:
find . -name '*.flac' -exec mv {} /where/you/want/to/move/to \;

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.