• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting Video Tape to Digital Format?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hello guys,

I have a slight dilemma in the fact that our old family video's are beginning to look/sound as though they are going to snap. Which would be bad :( (they were shot back in the day when VHS was the daddy lol).

Now is there a low cost way for me to hook up a VCR to my computer, import the video and digitally enhance it (take out some jumps/flickers, adjust colour etc etc...) and transfer it to DVD?

Regards,

Chris :mac:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you have a miniDV camera, you can use it as a bridge (analog/digital) between your VCR and computer.

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
rman said:
If you have a miniDV camera, you can use it as a bridge (analog/digital) between your VCR and computer.

I don't have a MiniDV Camera but i can borrow my sisters, how does this bridging work? do i need any more cables or can i simply use what i have (i.e. the cables that come with the camera...

Regards,

Chris. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
MrChris said:
I don't have a MiniDV Camera but i can borrow my sisters, how does this bridging work? do i need any more cables or can i simply use what i have (i.e. the cables that come with the camera...

Regards,

Chris. :mac:

You wil need a firewire cable to go from the camera to the computer.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the camera is like mine. All of the cables came with the camera except for the firewire cable. What type of camera does your sister have?

Reaction score
I used an eyetv wonder to convert all my vhs to digital. £100. did the job.

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
rman said:
If the camera is like mine. All of the cables came with the camera except for the firewire cable. What type of camera does your sister have?

She has a Sony Mini DV Camera, not 100% sure on the model but i think its either the DCR-HC30e or one very similar.

Regards,

Chris.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully the camera have a firewire port. I believe it is iLink on the Sony. I have a Canon, I connect to both the VCR and computer. Turn the camera on in VCR mode. Then change a setting (turn on the AV/DV option). Then you start the iMovie application. Near the botom left of the screen in Imovie, you should see a sissor and acamera icon. Select the camera side of the toggle switch. You should be in import mode now. Press play on the VCR and press the import button in iMovie. You will need to set the proper setting on your VCR to get the data out to the camera (line settings).

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Thanks for the walkthrough rman :mac:

The camera does have a firewire port on it because i have used it before to do some filming for a project.

One more question,

The only MAC i currently own (because i havent got enough for an iMac yet :() is a 12" iBook G4 with no DVD-RW drive.

Now i can borrow a friends external LiteOn DVD-RW drive but can i plug that in to my iBook and burn from iMovie?

If i remember correctly i had problems doing this in the past in the fact that iMovie, iDVD etc etc.. just would not acknowledge the external drive was there at all!

Regards,

Chris.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With PatchBurn and iDVD. You should be able to create a DVD. That is after you imported the material into your system with iMovie and finish editting it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Thanks a lot for the walkthrough. How is the quality when running it through the miniDV? I use Final Cut Pro to capture off of the camcorder all the time, but I've never done it with VHS tapes. I've been considering purchasing a tape deck (makes sense for me anyways, I'm slowly building up a video studio), but if this offers fair quality, might as well save money for a bit...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not sure of the quality, yet. I have only done this one time. That was to try and get my wedding video on to my PowerBook to clean it up some more. I will have to pick up that project and complete to see the results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.