Can't connect to internet through USB

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to connect my modem through USB, since I need the Ethernet port to connect a new router. After I initially connected it, everything worked fine. Then the IP address reset itself to 169.254.231.247 and the internet stopped working. Still works fine through Ethernet port.

The USB appears in network settings as Texas Instruments CDC Ethernet/RNDIS Adapter.

The modem is Aztech DSL 605EU, provided by my ISP. I know it needs drivers for USB to work with Windows, but I couldn't find anything for Mac OSX.

Aside from buying a new modem, is there a way to use the internet through USB? Should I just use it in Manual mode and copy the IP, DNS that show up with Ethernet cable plugged in?

Much appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sorry but have never got a USB adapter to work from G4 days right through. Lack of drivers.

Reaction score
so your trying to connect a router to the either net port on the modem and a computer to the usb side of the modem ?
If I am understanding what you want to do you need to set your modem up for bridged mode. If it supports that. Then you may need to contact your isp provider to get a disk with the correct usb drivers for a mac if they have one. Also your isp may need to guid you through the setup of bridged connections on the modem
What mac do you have? and why not just connect to the router via wifi or eithernet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.