White screen of death... but hard drive okay!?

Reaction score
Ok, so I dropped my computer the other day and when I picked it up to turn it on I got the dreaded "white screen of death." I did lots of searching online and came to the conclusion that my hard drive had been damaged and/ or the main logic board was damaged...

Before I acted on that conclusion I thought, what the heck... let's try connecting the computer to the tv via hdmi and see what happens. Well, that worked like a charm. Everything is viewable on the tv screen via hdmi although the computer screen is still all white. This would lead me to believe that the only problem I have is a bad screen. Is this an accurate conclusion??? And, will replacing my screen solve my problems?

I went to ifixit.com and they have replacement screens for sale along with tutorials on how to replace it. I would much rather do it myself than pay an exorbitant price at the apple store and have them do it for me.

Any feedback on this matter is much appreciated. Just want to make sure that I have correctly identified and isolated the problem, and that further hardware damage isn't to blame for an all white screen.

My computer is a l 13 inch late 2009 white Macbook unibody with a 2.26 processor.

Cheers and Thank You!

Reaction score
Sounds like your on the right track to getting it fixed. Before you order the screen though you should check the cable that connects it to the logic board to be sure this was not disloged.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like your on the right track to getting it fixed. Before you order the screen though you should check the cable that connects it to the logic board to be sure this was not disloged.

I agree. The LVDS cable has probably been loosened or completely dislodged when you dropped the machine. Refer to ifixit to learn how to open the machine and reseat the cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.