Why does iPhoto not maintain Aperture folder structure / organization?

Reaction score
I'm not sure about others but I would like to use iPhoto and Aperture together because I find iPhoto to be a lot quicker to open and work than Aperture, so I would like to be able to do most of my work there, and then use Aperture for more heavy editing etc.

That said, when I first opened up my Aperture Library in iPhoto, I noticed that the folder structure had gone out the window. Projects had become Events, but both albums and folders had disappeared from Aperture, thus throwing my entire Aperture library into disarray. Either Aperture albums or folders should be supported, since albums (that look like folders...) are supported by iPhoto...

Does anyone know why, if Apple has unified the two, they have not done anything to better map the structure from one to the other? Or if there are any workarounds?

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
I just bought Aperture, and I'd had it 4 years ago. What I found is that the structure of the iPhoto library is supported in Aperture but not the other way around. I want a different file structure, so I'm going to redo the library in Aperture, and use that structure, muddling around with the changes iPhoto makes with it when I'm in iPhoto, because I agree with you--iPhoto is much faster if all you need to do is make a few small changes. And the events are still there in iPhoto. But Aperture has a much better structuring system. No idea why they did things this way, and neither do the trainers at Apple. Go figure!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.