iPod Classic will only charge from laptop. iPhone's wall charger does nothing. Help!

Reaction score
Hi there.
Up until the other day, my iPod Classic 80gb has been charging up fine by plugging it into my iphone wall charger.
Now that won't work. When I plug it into the wall charger it doesn't show the "charging" logo where the battery icon is.
I know the charger and USB cable are OK because it works to charge my iPhone 4S just fine.
The only way I can seem to charge the device is by connecting it to my laptop via USB and opening iTunes. Once iTunes is linked, the iPod goes into "sync" mode and begins charging as normal.

Problem is I don't want to have to always turn on my laptop, or even have my laptop with me, just so I can charge the thing!

Anyone have any ideas?
Is the iPod in need of repair?
Any advice or help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

Jonathan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have everything backed up on your Classic, you can try resetting it with iTunes to see that works. I do find it strange though that a USB wall charger can't recharge your Classic. Again, before resetting it, make sure all your music, videos, etc, are backed up.

OP
B
Reaction score
I may well try that. Thanks. (Just tested the charger on my wife's iPod and it works fine, so must be a problem with my device...

Reaction score
iPod classic needs 12volt only seems to be supplied from FireWire charger

iPod classic needs 12volt only seems to be supplied from FireWire charger
;)

Anyone knows of another way please reply

Other connections exist in the normal cable that are not usually used

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.