Do I need to replace my hard drive?

Reaction score
When I restart my MacBook pro 13" 2011 I get a grey screen and flashing folder with question mark. The apple site has some troubleshooting routines that I did. The most distressing is that when I restart with my OSX install disk and go into disk utility the hard drive does not even appear as an option (only thedvd drive). What should my next step be? Replace the drive? I use carbonate so I should have most of my data backed up but it is still a big pain to reinstall programs, etc. I need to get this solved fast but I don't want abandon my current drive if there is still hope for it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The most distressing is that when I restart with my OSX install disk and go into disk utility the hard drive does not even appear as an option (only thedvd drive).

What OS disk are you using? Many newer model Macintosh computers no long come with OS disks...so the OS disk you're using may not be compatible.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you boot the computer from the disk that can with it...and when you open Disk Utility the computers internal HD doesn't show up...the hard drive may have died. It's kind of unusual for this to happen on a newer model computer (2011)...but not necessarily unheard of.

Great to hear that you had everything backed up. Of course if this computer still has Applecare on it...then Apple should replace the HD for free.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
So... I just bought a new hard drive which is supposed to be compatible and guess what? no difference. The computer (disk utility on osx install disk) still thinks there is no hard drive! So I guess the problem is not the hard drive. Could it be a bad chip or problem with the motherboard? This is really getting me down.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to hear that. Do you happen to have an external hard drive case that you could plug the new HD into your MacBook Pro externally via the USB port? Maybe the internal HD cable is loose or defective in some way...and testing externally may be able to narrow things down a bit as to the source of the issue.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Are you sure the new drive is mounting for it to be formatted?

A must external drives for backing up. It does happen the SATA cables get brittle with age and heat.

OP
P
Reaction score
Won't an unformatted drive still appear in the disk utility? It seems like it must since from what I've read that is the program you use to format a drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, even an unformatted bare drive will show up in Disk Utility. I suspect that the hard drive ribbon cable which runs from the HD connector to the logic board is either loose or bad. Replacing that cable may resolve the problem.

OP
P
Reaction score
The saga continues: I now know that my problem is neither the hard drive or the hard drive cable. I temporarily moved both of these to a different macbook pro of the same era and they work fine.

Can anyone think of any other possible cause other than the logic board? Otherwise I think I am really screwed here since it is out of warrantee.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I find it hard to believe that a 2011 MBP could have a defective logic board. Not that it's impossible, just not very likely. Even though the machine is out of warranty, I would take it on in to Apple and let them diagnose it. Ask for an estimate before allowing any repairs. They can confirm or deny the status of the logic board.

One thing you didn't try.... and that is try to boot the machine from an external USB drive. Or try to access the machine via Target Disk Mode from another Mac. Both your Mac and the other must have a firewire connection and proper cable in order to do that though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.