Plug-In failure on sky news videos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac 27" Intel i5 Processor, 16Gb RAM, 10TB HD (9TB External) , 2 x iPhone 5, 2 x iPad Retina
For the last few days I have been getting a plug-in failure when trying to view sky news videos. I can watch videos on YT and BBC news etc but not sky news.

Checked my plug-ins and all were up to date in Safari so tried to view sky news with Firefox and the same issue, plug-in failure.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
For the last few days I have been getting a plug-in failure when trying to view sky news videos. I can watch videos on YT and BBC news etc but not sky news.

Checked my plug-ins and all were up to date in Safari so tried to view sky news with Firefox and the same issue, plug-in failure.

Any ideas?

I find the online Sky and Sky Go experience really frustrating, with constant authorisation sign-ins, plug ins failing and icons turning up, disappearing or turning into something else. I've also got a corrupt movie that won't delete. Attached is the current bizarre version of the Sky Go icon in my Dock !

It might be Silverlight related for you.

Screen Shot 2012-12-31 at 14.01.36.png

OP
welshred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac 27" Intel i5 Processor, 16Gb RAM, 10TB HD (9TB External) , 2 x iPhone 5, 2 x iPad Retina
does anyone have any help on this, I still have the plugin failure on sky news videos, everything else works fine (videos on other sites etc). I re-istalled MS silverlight v5 and no change?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Does Sky use Silverlight? YouTube and BBC News both use Flash so if Sky uses Flash, it should also work and the browser shouldn't block certain websites (plug-in loading is an all or nothing thing).

OP
welshred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When the video fails I get a black screen (within the video area) and this message...

Warning: Plug Failed
Unfortunately a plugin failed to load. The player might not work as expected.

If I right click the video area (I have right click enabled on my magic mouse) I see the following info box...

Using OSMF v.1.5
Sky Media Player v3.4.DEV |10.1
Sky Core V.1.5.DEV
------------------------------------------------
Settings...
Global Settings...
About Adobe Flash Player 11.5.502.146...

So it seems it is adobe flash player but other sites must use it and I am only having this issue on sky news?

Just to add, the same issue is happening on ALL browsers including Safari, Chrome & Firefox so if it is a plugin they must all be using it?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Could very well be an issue with the player itself and not Flash since Flash works on other sites. Do you have a URL for a video (so we can test it)?

OP
welshred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take your pick, every video on sky news will not work for me, been like this for a couple of weeks now?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.