trying to install tiger

T

teezdesigns

I am trying to install the tiger i purchased.. it is the upgrade DVD. I am furious cause Apple can't help me after i spent money on the stupid program, and they won't take it back cause it is opened. Anyway here is my problem...

I have a G4 dual 1.0

I try to install it with the computer on... when it directs me to restart i do and then nothing, it boots to the grey apple screen, but no gears start moving...the same thing happens when i boot from the disc! So i was gonna do a disc repair from disc, an old disc, but I don't have my original boot disc from my last upgrade to 10.3.9, but i do have 10.3.7 from my macmini, but that isn't working either... is there any way to wipe out and start from scratch, anything i can do? I want to do a nice fresh clean install... Please Help me. Thanks, i am goin nuts! :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reboot the computer and hold down the C key to boot to the Disc

OP
T

teezdesigns

trpnmonkey41 said:
Reboot the computer and hold down the C key to boot to the Disc

Been there done that 1,000 times, thank you though. I should have stated that in the original post, the same thing happens when i boot from the disc!

this is the one thing i hate about Apple, if stuff doesn't work they want you to bring your computer to them... a pc i could just wipe out the drive and start fresh... Is there a way to do this on MAC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hook it up to the macmini via firewire, press and hold T whilst booting up, and wipe it clean using the mac mini's Disk utility. Then boot the mac mini from the install DVD and simply install it onto your Powermac from there (select the firewire drive in your G4 from the install screen on your mac mini).

OP
T

teezdesigns

Aptmunich said:
Hook it up to the macmini via firewire, press and hold T whilst booting up, and wipe it clean using the mac mini's Disk utility. Then boot the mac mini from the install DVD and simply install it onto your Powermac from there (select the firewire drive in your G4 from the install screen on your mac mini).

do i press and hold the "T" while booting the PowerMac or the mini or both, and can i just use my powerbook instead of my mini, the mini is my home computer, g4 is in my office... powerbook would be a lot easier to carry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
do i press and hold the "T" while booting the PowerMac or the mini or both
Sorry I wasn't more specific earlier, I was in a bit of a rush!

*Hold "T" whilst booting the Powermac. ("T" stands for target disk mode - basically it only turns on access to the harddrive in your powermac via firewire.

*Then open disk utility on the other mac and erase the Powermac's drive. (All data will be gone though, so BACKUP!)

*Boot the other mac from the install discs (hold down "C" to boot from the discs) and then select the drive in the powermac connected via firewire as the install destination.

can i just use my powerbook instead of my mini, the mini is my home computer, g4 is in my office... powerbook would be a lot easier to carry!

Whatever floats your boat!

OP
T

teezdesigns

Aptmunich said:
Sorry I wasn't more specific earlier, I was in a bit of a rush!

*Hold "T" whilst booting the Powermac. ("T" stands for target disk mode - basically it only turns on access to the harddrive in your powermac via firewire.

*Then open disk utility on the other mac and erase the Powermac's drive. (All data will be gone though, so BACKUP!)

*Boot the other mac from the install discs (hold down "C" to boot from the discs) and then select the drive in the powermac connected via firewire as the install destination.

Whatever floats your boat!

And this is the reason "I LOVE MACS"!!!!! Thank You so much for your help! Everything seems to be unning smoothly! I was amazed at how nicely the whole firewire connection thing worked. Very simple!

Now why couldn't the help hotline offered by Apple seem to help me like you did... I am a little disappointed in them for not having me do this. It was very simple!

Anyway, thanks for your help! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem, glad you got everything sorted out!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.