Have 500 image url links, need to download them

Reaction score
I have a list of 5000 urls with image links that i need to download for my online business. How do i do this easily, for windows i used idm or internet download manager which lets you just by copying from clipboard to program. I also need an image resizing app to resize tons of images. Any help would be appreciate more than words can say. I have a windows pc now and i want to sell it and totally switch to mac. I cant stand windows it crashed more than lindsay lohan on a weekend. I dont want to buy a mac and use boot camp i want to abandon windows totally so i need these two apps and im good to go.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't recommend a download manager similar to the one you used in Windows, however, the "Preview.app" which is on your Mac will nicely resize the images for you. By the way, I hope you have a fast unlimited connection because it sounds like you're going to be pre-occupied for quite some time doing all that downloading, manager or not.

OP
G
Reaction score
The images only come to 300 megs so its not much. But there are 5000 links in excel to the images i cant do that manually, there has to be one on mac to get this done. Can you resize lots of images at once on the preview app u mentioned?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 iMac 27" | i7 | 3.4Ghz | 1TB Fusion | 8GB RAM | 680MX - 2013 Macbook Air 8GB 3.3gHz 128GB Flash
I don't have any idea on how to automate your Mac to go to the URLs you need and at the same time save them to a folder. However if you have Photoshop or download the trial, you can create actions which can be automated to resize as many images you want to all at once.

If you don't want to download Photoshop's trial, you could try Ifranview but I don't know if it can do a batch resize.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Export the links from Excel into a TXT file with a single URL on each line then a BASH script like the following will download all the files for you:
Code:
IFS=$'\n';
for file in `cat <filename.txt>`; do
   echo "Downloading $file";
   wget $file
done

You can experiment with WGET options to make it more quiet or verbose as needed. Depending on where you are getting the files from (i.e., how open or closed it is) you might have to switch to using CURL instead..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you don't want to download Photoshop's trial, you could try Ifranview but I don't know if it can do a batch resize.

I love Ifranview but it's Windows only unless our good fried Ifran has decided to develop it for the Mac as well.

Reaction score
I don't know what you need for your urls with image linksproblem, but Preview that comes on a Mac does Batch resizing. To do batch operations just drag the image files or a complete folder to the dock and drop on Preview and it will open with all the images open in the sidebar. Select them all (command A) or just the files you want using command. Next go to Previews Tools menu and select Adjust Size and a dialog box will open to let you adjust to the size you need.

Preview does most of what IrfanView does and things IrfanView doesn't do.
Some IrfanView features:
▪ Many supported file formats
▪ Multi language support Preview does
▪ Thumbnail/preview option Preview does
▪ Paint option - to draw lines, circles, arrows, straighten image etc. Preview Annotates with arrows, boxes, circles and text
▪ Toolbar skins option No
▪ Slideshow (save slideshow as EXE/SCR or burn it to CD) Preview does slide shows, but to save or burn use iPhoto or iMovie
▪ Show EXIF/IPTC/Comment text in Slideshow, Preview No, iPhoto yes
▪ Support for Adobe Photoshop Filters No
▪ Fast directory view (moving through directory) Preview does
▪ Batch conversion (with image processing) Preview does somethings like resize or rotate
▪ Multipage TIF editing Don't know
▪ File search Preview does
▪ Email option Preview does
▪ Multimedia player Preview No, Quicklook yes
▪ Print option Preview does
▪ Support for embedded color profiles in JPG/TIF Preview does
▪ Change color depth Don't kmow
▪ Scan (batch scan) support Preview does
▪ Cut/crop Preview does
▪ IPTC editing Preview does
▪ Effects (Sharpen, Blur, Adobe 8BF, Filter Factory, Filters Unlimited, etc.) Preview does Sharpen and Color Correction but no Adobe filters
▪ Screen Capturing Preview does
▪ Extract icons from EXE/DLL/ICLs No EXE, DLL's or ICL's on a Mac
▪ Lossless JPG rotation Preview does
▪ Unicode support Preview ?
▪ Many hotkeys Preview does
▪ Many command line options No
▪ Many PlugIns No
▪ Only one EXE-type file, no DLLs, no Shareware messages like "I Agree" or "Evaluation expired" Preview is only one file, there are no DLLs on a Mac and of course no Nag screens in Preview
▪ No registry changes without user action/permission! No registry on a Mac
▪ and much much more Preview does PDF's as well as images

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.