Issue connecting my ipad to Verizon LTE network

Reaction score
I have a iPad 3 (Model A1403) with Verizon LTE. It worked fine until I went to Europe. Now, though I have an up-to-date Verizon data plan, I'm having problems connecting. It keeps telling me that I need to update the plan, yet as noted, I have an up-to-date plan.

When I was in Europe, I experimented with connecting with Vodaphone. I bought a Vodaphone mini-sim and tried unsuccessfully to get it to work. BTW: I ran a program unlockit.co.nz to set the Vodaphone settings.

Now I'm back in the USA and I'm having this problem. BTW: My plan updated while I was in Europe and I received an email from Verizon that stated that they'd cancelled my plan (yet when I returned, it was clear that it had updated). I also added yet another plan (which is pending) just to be sure.

The cell number seems to be the same and there aren't any other settings that I can think of.

Some of the mitigations I've taken:
  • I reseated the Verizon mini-sim.
  • I've rebooted, the pad several times, including a hard reset.
  • I've done a scratch re-install of iOS, the apps and data.
  • I "Reprovisioned Account" (in General>Reset->Subscriber Services)

I'm totally perplexed and need some help. I'm sure that there is a setting that has been changed, but at least in the Cellular settings section, there aren't any to play with.

I've checked several forums (including this one) and not found any help.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

OP
C
Reaction score
An update on my LTE problem

Yesterday, I worked with a local Apple store in the morning and Verizon support in the afternoon. Though I didn't resolve my issue, I was able to eliminate several possibilities:

We tried a new mini-sim card (this is getting expensive) with no luck. We tried a new Apple ID, with no luck. We factory reset it without backing it up and that worked with both sims. So, this means:
  • It's not a hardware problem or a problem with the base OS.
  • It's not a Verizon network problem. Once I took it to the factory settings, it worked.
  • It's not an issue with my Apple ID as that worked with the factory settings.
  • Same with the sim, it's fine and didn't get messed up.

However, when I subsequently restore the backup, the problem returns. This means that one or more corrupted variables are getting restored back to the device. I suspect the corrupted variable is APN.

So, is there any way I can either look under the covers on the iPad on on the backup on iTunes and see if I can isolate the problem? Can I get back to the default settings without messing up the restored apps and data (I've done both a "Reprovision Provider" reset as well as a network reset).

I really don't want to start fresh and redownload/repurchase apps. Also, I don't want to loose my data (though I could probably figure something out via my iPhone).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just downloaded it Tom. Will let you know how it works on my iPad 3, but from the read up, it sounds like a great app to have. I especially like the feature about being able to transfer music and videos back to iTunes from the iPad.

OP
C
Reaction score
Issue Resolved!

I finally figured out what was wrong and resolved the issue.

To use the device on Vodaphone, I needed to set unsettable variables, so I used a tool called unlockit.co.nz. It turns out that there was a profile remaining on my iPad that gleefully set several variables to the Vodaphone equivalent.

This explains when I scratch installed and didn't restore my software, it worked fine. However, when I restored my apps and data, it also reinstalled the profile, which broke my cellular connection.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back. Glad you got it resolved. And by the way, I too found the file explorer was geared more toward an iPhone or ones that were jailbroken. Not much use for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.