need help with early 2008 model

Reaction score
I have a MacPro early 2008 model with this info from the rear of the computer:
MacPro/2.80x/2x1g/8800GT/500/SD/WM/WK.
Can someone please tell me if this a double processor machine or a single from this info.
This machine was in a pile of computers in the building where I work, I asked building management if I could take it and they gave me a pass to remove it from the property.
It has no memory and all the hard drive sleds were empty. I opened it up and there is only 1 processor and the socket where the other one would be has a cap on the socket and a dummy heat sink.
I took it to the Genius Bar at the Apple store and they diagnosed it as having only one processor with the other missing. They said the machine booted to their network and should work ok, but not as good as it would if the machine had both processors.
Does Apple sell the single processor machines using the same logic board as a double processor and just block up the second socket? I'm thinking yes and this machine is a single unit machine.
Thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
could I replace the one that is present and the empty one with 3.0 processors of the same kind?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I would be inclined to leave it as a single processor. It is a dual core as it is and very few applications can fully make use of the quad cores. Having no memory or hard drive could mean it has cooked its goose. Try it out with some memory, must be Mac compatible and not cheaper PC memory ~ this is the type you need:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#800-memory

Then pop in a SATA II hard drive and install an operating system and see if it boots. Alas it is necessary to spend some money to see what you have. If all is well and good suggest upping memory to 8GB and investing in an SSD for starters. That model can run Mountain Lion. The earliest operating system it can handle is Leopard version OS X.5.1. Reason for leaving it a single processor? How deep are the pockets:-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T869G-In..._Processors&hash=item1c21a42816#ht_594wt_1165

And to pop in a 3GHz CPU you would need a pair preferably with identical serial numbers.

OP
J
Reaction score
Harry,
When I took it to the Apple store they installed some test ram and it booted right up. The diagnostic only showed the missing processor and no wifi card.
I can pick up a pulled processor on ebay for $59 and a heat sink for $75. Its the same processor that's in the machine now. I can get 2 3.0 processors for about the same money, but thinking of just installing the 2.8 one
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make sure, doubly sure, it is the correct 2.8 processor and the correct socket number. This is LGA771. Some Dells and HP's use the same CPU with a different socket.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good. Keep us posted. In my Mac Pro days updated a 2.1 to quad core using Intel CPU's. Best advice is to clean CPU's with cotton bud and alcohol swab and use Arctic Silver on the CPUs. Also you might keep a lookout for a better graphics card. The 8800 did have failure problems.

Suggest buying Snow Leopard OS X.6 from Apple at $20 posted and you will have a disc for trouble shooting. From there using the App Store you can update to Mountain lion if you wish.

Purchased Bluetooth and Airport Extreme cards through eBay if desired. Get them for about $20 each or so.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, the machine is working great!
I installed the second processor and heat sink, memory and a SSD drive with Lion without any glitches. The only "problem" I had was finding a 3mm hex wrench that was long enough.
Now I'm wondering if I can go from the DVI-VGA with an HDMI adapter so I can route the Mac through my A/V receiver. I would like to use this setup in my home theater and project the Mac on my screen.
Will it work or will I need a video card with a HDMI output?
Harry, any suggestions for a video card?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.