Should i upgrade to 8gb of RAM or 16?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model
I already put a solid state in my 2011 macbook pro 13 inch (i5), however when i was in there i thought i should probably upgrade the ram from 4 to 8, i just haven't had the time. I was wondering if spending more to go with 16 would actually be worth doing. Anyone on here working with 16gb of RAM?

I do plan on selling this in june to upgrade.

Thank You all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I already put a solid state in my 2011 macbook pro 13 inch (i5), however when i was in there i thought i should probably upgrade the ram from 4 to 8, i just haven't had the time. I was wondering if spending more to go with 16 would actually be worth doing. Anyone on here working with 16gb of RAM?

I do plan on selling this in june to upgrade.

Thank You all.

Hi,

If you're going to sell in June I wouldn't spend any more money on it because the buyer will reap all the benefits. Used Macs hold their price very well so I personally think that you will be wasting your money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
I wouldn't upgrade the RAM if you want to sell in June, but that's completely your choice obviously.

I have 16gb RAM in my i5 MBP (mine is the 2.4Ghz model so slightly newer than yours) and it is a great upgrade though I have yet to fully utilize it, even when running three heavy photo editors and stuff in the background. I haven't had it long but with your plans to get rid of the computer I would just go to 8gb especially if you don't think you'll need the extra. It is definitely nice though and I'm sure it will become even more useful when used with FCPX and the like

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was wondering if spending more to go with 16 would actually be worth doing.

I saw some ram deals pre-Christmas where the sale price on 16gig of ram was the same as the regular price on 8gig of ram (same ram type...for 2011 MBP's). So depending on how quickly you want to upgrade...I would say keep keep your eye's open for ram deals...and you may be able to get 16gig for the same price as 8gig! :)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.