a few questions from new mac user (just purchased a macbook pro)

Reaction score
Hey cousins, I just purchased a macbook pro (mid 2012) and I had a few questions. I'm a life-long windows users so I'm not familiar with the os x environment.

1.) What's the best tool to control the fan while i'm in OS X? I know if I use bootcamp -> win 7, I can use lubbo's macbook fan tool
2.) There's a few apps I want to run that I only have the MS version for/are only made for MS, specifically the 2010 office suite (word/excel/ppt) and dbpoweramp (dBpoweramp: CD Ripper & Audio Converter. Secure ripping to mp3, FLAC, m4a, Apple Lossless & WMA). I plan on installing win7 via bootcamp, but I understand that I can't access the mac hdd in windows and vice versa? I would like to be able to do this so I can work on ppts and convert audio files that are on my mac hdd in win7
3.) I have a samsung 840 ssd that I recently purchased. I don't really do anything that intensive (coding and light gaming at most)...is it even worth it to swap the ssd with the hdd? I heard that the bootcamp booting into win7 takes forever
4.) Could I put ubuntu on my system or is it not possible to have osx/win7/ubuntu? If so, how would I be able to do it? Would following these two guides be enough?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro10-1/Precise
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/How to install Ubuntu on MacBook using USB Stick

5.) I have this TV: (Amazon.com: Samsung UN32EH5000 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (Black): Electronics) what's the best/cheapest way to hook my mbp (1680x1050 matte display mbp -> 1080p tv)...preferably have the audio and video in one link

thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1) Don't recommend, nor do I see any need for a fan control app with your stated usage in #3.

2) MS most definitely makes their office suite for OS X.
You may want to try Max.

3) If I had an SSD sitting around, I'd def be using it for my system drive.
It doesn't take any longer to boot into Win 7 than it would on any other PC with the same hardware.

5) Mini displayport to HDMI adapter and HDMI cable

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.