Question About Intel Processor

B

BoingoBongo

This may be a dumb question, but is a 1.83ghz Intel Core Duo equal to a single 3.66ghz processor? Or is the "dual" processor thing mostly just hype?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
Dual core CPU's will run applications much faster if the applications are designed to be multithreaded.

If the applications that you are running are not multithreaded, then one core will run one application and another core will run another application.

So, to answer your question: it depends on the software.

OP
B

BoingoBongo

Thanks very much. That's actually a great answer. I was worried it was all hype, but it's awesome to know that it really is a powerful thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
So does that mean that when all the applications I have on my computer are not "multithreaded" then the processor will run at 3.66 or just 1.83?

Reaction score
The processor will never run at 3.66ghz. However multithreaded apps will run faster on a dual core processor than a single core processor.

ed724

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
ed724 said:
The processor will never run at 3.66ghz. However multithreaded apps will run faster on a dual core processor than a single core processor.

ed724

This is correct, the processor is only a 1.83 ghz.. it is only possible to go that fast, but if you were to use a multithreaded application then both cores will be working at 1.83ghz and therefore the application will be running alot faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.