Advice/help for home sharing itunes on multiple computers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , MacBook Air (2019),MacBook Air M1
We have two different itunes accounts (on separate computers) and recently got a new macbook pro. We want to be able to share the 2 accounts between all the different computers.
We enabled home sharing, but it wouldn't allow us to share many of the songs due to the "protected" status (or whatever it is). So I have a couple of questions -

Do we need to "upgrade" our account to the itunes match so that these can be shared?
Will that do it or do we need to do something else also?
It costs $25/year, but can we cancel it later and still retain our"new" music?
I've heard people have lost music, playlists, etc. when doing this - comments?
By using the cloud, do we have access to this on peripheral devices (iphones at work)?

Basically, I'm looking for the easiest way (I'm not tech savvy) to be able to play music (that we purchased!) on our own separate computers.

Comments/ideas/advice?

Thanks very much

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
You need to 'authorise' your two accounts on each of the computers. From memory, it' on the 'store' drop down menu.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , MacBook Air (2019),MacBook Air M1
You need to 'authorise' your two accounts on each of the computers. From memory, it' on the 'store' drop down menu.

Um, yeah we've done that.
it is more about the "protected" files and how best to share them.

Thanks

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Did you buy them from iTunes or somewhere else? My wife and I share DRM protected music from iTunes across three Macs no problem, just by authorising every computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.