Shut Down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
All the Windows machines, especially the early ones I've had, came with strict instructions to do proper shut downs (click through icons, for example). A big faux pas was to not shut down via the power strip.

My Mac didn't come with shut-down prohibitions in the instructions. So is it safe to just shut down with the power switch? Why I want to do this is because all my peripherals are on the power strip; I turn it off after I do the proper shut down, but it would be so much easier to just snap the switch off.

My use is casual, so if 'lost data' is an issue, I don't care. My main concern is corrupting the OS (not a concern with Mac?).

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Apple icon on the left hand corner. Scroll down to "Shut down..." that's it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is always a risk of corrupted files when doing an improper shut down.
Yes, that includes the OS files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I always thought it was bad for the hardware to power off by pushing the button or pulling the plug. Can any of our Mac techs speak to that?

C

chas_m

It is bad for the hardware to do a sudden loss of power (power stip shutoff). NEVER EVER a good idea.

Just disabuse yourself of the notion that this is a viable strategy and properly shut down the Mac as recommended.

M

MacInWin

Given that OSX is a variant of *nix, it needs to be properly shut down. Power loss is very risky, as it can easily corrupt critical system files.

And for those of you who will say "I've never shut it down, just powered off, and it's fine" I'll say that you can play Russian Roulette for a while, too...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.