N0ob question re: Applecare warranty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Hello peeps :Blushing: I have just ordered a rMBP 15" and I'm looking down the street to see if the courier is appearing ;)
I have a question that I'm sure you've heard before and if so maybe you could direct me to the appropriate thread if you will be so kind.
I have been in contact with Applecare on the phone and was a bit miffed to find that although they want £279 for Applecare there is no accidental damage included.
I'm unsure as to whether to buy the Applecare warranty or not.
The laptop will not actually do much moving about but as I'm sure you are aware things happen to laptops that don't happen to desktops.
Having said that, nothing accident-wise has happened to my Sony Vaio over the last 5 years but even so it's had 3 new pairs of hard drives and a new motherboard.
If you had your time over again would you pay for the Applecare warranty?
Thanks for reading :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello and welcome,

That may indeed be the case..however you might wish to have a look at your home insurance contents policy which normally cover that kind of thing.

I must add though that you are unlikely to have to replace 3 HDD's and a motherboard on a Mac in a 5 year period :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I would buy AppleCare, but I wouldn't buy it from Apple. Do a forum search and you will see there has been much discussion on this.

Avoid eBay, but there are many reputable authorized resellers that provide a significant discount on AppleCare sale.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've been purchasing electronics for close on to 50 years. If I had bought extended warranties on every piece of electronics I've purchased, by my estimate, I would be out an extra $20,000 - easy.

If bought on every vehicle, electronic device, appliance and everything else they sell those things on nowadays, that total would be closer to $50,000+ I'd be out of pocket. In all those years, I believe I could have used an extended warranty perhaps 4-5 times.

Not everyone will agree with me, but imho, the only ones that make money from extended warranties are the people that sell them. Not us... not in the long run.

If I were to recommend something it would be insurance, not a warranty.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
pendlewitch thanks for your reply and yes, I agree that this is unlikely and that's part of my problem really :Angry: I'm just making home insurance enquiries while I'm typing this :Mischievous:

RavingMac, thanks for your reply too. I wasn't aware that Applecare could be bought from anywhere other than Apple and I'll definitely look into that.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
bobtomay, I agree 100%. It's just that laptops are a different kind of liability than a fridge or a TV in my experience.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been purchasing electronics for close on to 50 years. If I had bought extended warranties on every piece of electronics I've purchased, by my estimate, I would be out an extra $20,000 - easy.

If bought on every vehicle, electronic device, appliance and everything else they sell those things on nowadays, that total would be closer to $50,000+ I'd be out of pocket. In all those years, I believe I could have used an extended warranty perhaps 4-5 times.

Not everyone will agree with me, but imho, the only ones that make money from extended warranties are the people that sell them. Not us... not in the long run.

If I were to recommend something it would be insurance, not a warranty.

You sound like me.
FWIW AppleCare is the only extended warranty I ever purchase. So far I have broken even (or may be a bit ahead) on the deal.
I certainly wouldn't pay full price for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
One More Thing

Hello peeps :Blushing: I have just ordered a rMBP 15" and I'm looking down the street to see if the courier is appearing ;)
I have a question that I'm sure you've heard before and if so maybe you could direct me to the appropriate thread if you will be so kind.
I have been in contact with Applecare on the phone and was a bit miffed to find that although they want £279 for Applecare there is no accidental damage included.
I'm unsure as to whether to buy the Applecare warranty or not.
The laptop will not actually do much moving about but as I'm sure you are aware things happen to laptops that don't happen to desktops.
Having said that, nothing accident-wise has happened to my Sony Vaio over the last 5 years but even so it's had 3 new pairs of hard drives and a new motherboard.
If you had your time over again would you pay for the Applecare warranty?
Thanks for reading :Mischievous:

Don't forget the AppleCare goes beyond just Warranty.
You also get three years of Phone Support included for this price. Sometimes this can be very valuable, especially given that you are a "Newbie" with Apple Products.

Just my two cents.

DavidH

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
That's fair comment DavidHH and something else to be considered. It also includes collection and return by courier as opposed to taking it to an Apple store, I believe.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's fair comment DavidHH and something else to be considered. It also includes collection and return by courier as opposed to taking it to an Apple store, I believe.

That is one of the options. I had a logic board replacement done this way before we got a local Apple Store.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
No courier yet :'(
Roll on next week! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If bought on every vehicle, electronic device, appliance and everything else they sell those things on nowadays, that total would be closer to $50,000+ I'd be out of pocket.

I agree. However, when buying a new car (Honda) for my then college age daughter she insisted on getting the extended warranty which was at the time an additional $700.00. (What the heck, Dad was paying for it.)

But would you believe that 3 years later the transmission went out and the dealer quoted $2000.00 plus labor to replace it. All we wound up paying was the $50 deductible. I still agree though and have not spent the extra $$ on auto extended warranties since then.

I do buy Apple care though. (From B&H Photo in NYC)

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Thanks for all your comments people.
I'm going to decide during the 90 day period, but having read one or two threads about failing batteries and other things I think it likely that I'll invest another couple of hundred bananas on the package.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.