Time Machine and system crash

Reaction score
Good morning all,

My trusted sidekick (let's just call him MBP) keeled over yesterday and despite the help given by the paramedics at Apple Support, he has to go into hospital for some surgery. Fortunately I had been using Time Machine and had backed up the night before. However, I am faced with a period of not being able to use MBP and am wishing to use my wife's MacPro that has more than sufficient space on her drive (around 1TB), I also have a pre-mountain lion MBP that I could use. So now to my questions;

1) is it possible to use my old MBP and simply hook the TM to it and will I still be able to get mail down?
2) Can I hook my TM up to my wife's machine and segregate my account (she is already using a separate TM back up for her work)
3) When I get my new MBP back can I pick up where I left off.

I have looked at the relevant TM page on Apple Support and it all looks 'Geek' to me with words that are not computing with my elderly grey cell.

Your help and assistance would be gratefully received.

Uncle H

OP
U
Reaction score
I know replying to one's own thread may seem daft, but I may have put my problem rather inelegantly and the simpler way of asking would have been to ask:

Can I have two time machines on remote hard drives attached to the same desktop drive and each to access a different account?

Ta
Uncle H

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I know replying to one's own thread may seem daft, but I may have put my problem rather inelegantly and the simpler way of asking would have been to ask:

Can I have two time machines on remote hard drives attached to the same desktop drive and each to access a different account?

Ta
Uncle H

HI,
I think it depends on what OS you are running. Recent enhancements to Mountain Lion made it possible to add extra drives to your TM back up routine. TM then rotates the schedule to include all those additional drives if you wish. It can provide back ups at different locations which is handy if you move your machine regularly.

What I don't think it can do is differentiate between different accounts on the one original HDD..there may be a way but I don't know of one.
What it appears to do is keep each user's data separate on the back up in separate user home folders. One user cannot access another user's back ups. I would think that a back up is a back up. You can however specify certain files and folders not to be backed up according to personal preference and in order to optimise space used on the back up volumes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.