iMovie 16:9 aspect ratio DVD crops off edges when viewed on newish TV

Reaction score
My friend and I used iMovie to make a DVD of a series of photos set to music. He burned the DVD, he said, using 16:9 aspect ratio, and tested it on his TV and it looked fine. I played it on my PC and it looked fine, but when I played it in my DVD player using my relatively new TV, the edges are cropped off of all the pictures and transition text slides. I tried adjusting the aspect ratio on the tv but it had options of 4:3, normal widescreen, or HD options, and none changed the cropping problem.

I planned to show this at a family reunion at a Mexican hotel next week using a DVD and TV we are renting there, but am worried it may look the same as it did on my TV.

Would it help to bypass the DVD player and use cables between my computer and TV screen? Could it be that my DVD is old? Is there something on the DVD I can do to change the aspect ratio? Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The aspect ratio you should be using on the TV should be called "Full".

You could check the DVD Player menu also. There are some that have their own aspect ratio settings. Specifically, one that would set whether your TV is 4:3 or 16:9.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea of checking my DVD player -- I tried but couldn't figure out how I would change the viewing aspect ratio on the DVD -- I have a Panasonic DVD, if that helps.

Barbara

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.