Anybody buy a recent WD USB drive for their Mac?

Reaction score
Anybody buy a Western Digital external USB drive for their Mac lately? I have several of the MyBook drives that are still working and are totally satisfactory, but when I went back to get another a couple of years ago they had turned into MyBook Essential which looked the same, but their engineers had decided that my desktop belonged to them and plastered icons about their useless Smartware all over it. Unremovable icons. Or, that is to say, you could remove them but they would come right back as soon as the drive mounted.

They got a ton of flack at the time, but I had little reason to believe that they would bother to worry about what their customers thought about it.

Anyway. Rant aside, anybody bought one recently and do you still get the software shoved on you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Anybody buy a Western Digital external USB drive for their Mac lately? I have several of the MyBook drives that are still working and are totally satisfactory, but when I went back to get another a couple of years ago they had turned into MyBook Essential which looked the same, but their engineers had decided that my desktop belonged to them and plastered icons about their useless Smartware all over it. Unremovable icons. Or, that is to say, you could remove them but they would come right back as soon as the drive mounted.

They got a ton of flack at the time, but I had little reason to believe that they would bother to worry about what their customers thought about it.

Anyway. Rant aside, anybody bought one recently and do you still get the software shoved on you?

I bought a WD My Book Studio 1TB USB/FW800 recently and the WD Smartware installation is optional. I passed on it and all that appears on my desktop is the usual icon to show that the My Book is mounted for Time Machine purposes.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I bought mine about a year ago and immediately reformatted the drive. I have no extraneous icons showing up.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks. Glad to hear it. Apparently I was wrong about them listening to customers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.