• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Importing DVD to iMovie

Reaction score
I am completely new to iMovie so forgive me if this is a completely stupid question.

Many years ago I had 8 mm home movies transferred to VHS tape. A few years back a friend transferred the tapes to DVD. I am wondering if there is any way to get those "movies" from the DVD into iMovie. All Ican tell you about the DVD is the "format" is listed as Universal Disc Format (UDF). I am working with iMovie 9.0.4.

Help will be very appreciated

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If the dvd is one that you can play in a dvd player, then use Handbrake which will give you a movie file which you can then import into iMovie.
HandBrake

OP
P
Reaction score
importing DVD to iMovie

If the dvd is one that you can play in a dvd player, then use Handbrake which will give you a movie file which you can then import into iMovie.
HandBrake

Thanx MightyGem. I downloaded handbrake and tried to convert the DVD but got a message that it was not compatible with the source but it directed me to libdvdcss.pkg which I also downloaded. I then selected the DVD as the source and clicked. It tokk a full 2 hours but I ended up with an icon on the desktop titled DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER.m4v. In short, it worked. A few questions though:

The "video" seemed to be saved to iTunes and when I opened it it "played" in iTunes. Seems it should have been saved to iMovie??

Went to iMovie and clicked File > import > desktop > DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER.m4v and it did import to iMovie (took a full hour).

Another question: In my hard drive > applications I have iMovie 9.0.4. In my external hard drive I have iMovie HD 6.0.3. Should I trash the iMovie HD?

Is iMovie 9.0.4 iMovie 11? I can't find a cross reference anywhere.

Can you recommend a good reference book for iMovie?

Sorry for all the crazy questions. I am just getting my feet wet and am very ignorant.

Thank you

poppi

C

chas_m

iMovie 9.0.4 is iMovie 11.

Apple has extensive help files on iMovie available in the built-in help as well as on its web site. Try apple.com/ilife/imovie for starters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
The "video" seemed to be saved to iTunes and when I opened it it "played" in iTunes.
m4v files are automatically loaded to iTunes when you open them. You can play them with Quicktime if you wish by Right/Ctrl clicking and then choosing Quicktime from the Open with... list.

iMovie does not play movie/video files without you importing them first.

If you can take the time and patience to wirk through the iMovie Help, most of what you need to know is in there.

Should I trash the iMovie HD?
You could if you want. I have both on my Mac and have sometimes still used iMovie6HD. Although I can't remember the last time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.