Usb snes controller

Reaction score
i recently bought two G Tron snes usb controllers, when i plug them into my PC they work just fine, but when i plug them into my mac it does not show them up, or recognize that they are plugged in, but my controllers are supposed to work for all PC's and Mac's, plus it says it is a plug and play, no extra drivers needed. any help or info you can give would be much appreciated!

Reaction score
What mac do you have and what OS X are you using? Does the controller say anything about the versions of OSX they are compatible with. From what I see most of them require OSX 10.0 or later, but the newer OSX versions may not work with them because they are kind of an old technology.

Reaction score
USB 3.0 issue?

I'm having this same problem. I'm also curious to know what Mac system you're using. The thing is, I tried it on a 2011 MacBook Pro and it works fine. But when I try it with my late 2012 Mac Mini, it does not detect the controller. When I go to System Information, it does show a "USB Gamepad" item, but no signal is detected when I press the buttons. I tried configuring the controller from the Config menu, but to no avail.

Since the distinguishing factor between the computers is USB 2.0 (in the MBP) vs. USB 3.0 (in the Mini), I'm inclined to think there is some compatibility issue with USB 3.0. I searched around on Google to see if there were additional drivers somewhere, but I haven't found anything.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'd really like to get this working on my Mac Mini.

Reaction score
Solution!

I found a solution! For the record (and for Google search results' sake), I'm using the GTron (G-Tron) USB SNES controller or gamepad. However, I'm sure it's pretty much identical to other brands of NES/SNES USB controllers out there.

www.senlick.com/html/01.01.html

This is a plugin for System Preferences that lets you detail what each button does, and ensure that it only applies to particular applications. The developer asks users to pay $20 for it, but you can download and run it for free if you're willing to wait 10 seconds each time you run it. I gladly paid the $20 once I got it working correctly.

It was a bit tricky, as I had to go into my emulator and change the keyboard configuration to match what I was doing in USB Overdrive. Here's a summary of what I did:

In USB Overdrive:

1. Select "Any Gaming, Any Application" from the top drop-down box
  2. Select "New Duplicate Settings" in the top drop-down box
  3. Select "Gaming" for Device Type
  4. Select my SNES emulator for Application
  5. Select USB Gamepad for Device
  6. Leave "Any Location" set for Location
  7. Click OK
  8. Ensure the "Enabled" Checkbox is checked
  9. Tap each button on the gamepad once to ensure all keys are on the list. For each button, select it and then enter the corresponding keyboard key in the field to the right (this shows when "Press Key" is selected in the drop-down box)
In the emulator program:

1. Ensure the keyboard to gamepad mapping is identical to your settings in USB Overdrive

I had to tweak the up/down buttons a bit because they are reversed, but once that was working I was good to go.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
HALP!

I've tried everything to try and get my usb gamepad to work in my emulators, but nothing is working.

Here's what I've done/have:

Have:

- SNES USB controller from GTron

- I'm running on a Mac Pro, using OS X Lion 10.7.5

- I have the Snes9x SNES emulator (as well as some Genisis ones, but let's focus on SNES for now)

- I've installed USB Overdrive

Done:

- Using USB Overdrive, I've followed the instructions above, pressing the buttons, getting them to pop up, saving new duplicate settings, etc.

- I then went over to the emulator, but it does not read the controller. No option I select, or button I press has any effect with the controller. The keyboard works for the game; just not the controller.

Am I missing something? I'm a dope when it comes to this kind of stuff, but not that much of a dope. I've tried everything I could find on the subject of Macs/Emulators/Controllers, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Since my last post, I have had intermittent trouble getting the emulator to recognize the gamepad. I don't really have a good answer for you, unfortunately. I usually end up getting it to work, but not through any systematic process... It's more just a series of unplug this, restart that, reconfigure, etc. until it works :/

If the buttons are triggering in USB Overdrive, then it's definitely something to do with the emulator setup, although if I remember correctly there are settings in USB Overdrive for how it's recognized with different apps too.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Reaction score
Actually, looks like the keyboard mapping worked for all my emulators! I just didn't know what I was doing before. Like I said- I'm a dope.

But it was your older post that got me there, so big thanks!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.