3G Apps/version update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Mini Core 2 Duo. Running Snow Leopard
I just got an Iphone 3G, and it is running version 4.12. I just did a restore, and it says that it's running the latest version. However, it doesn't have ibooks, and some other apps that I try to download say that I need to upgrade to another version to download the app. What's wrong with this?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What's wrong is that you have an old version of iPhone that isn't supported by the newer versions of iOS and as such you will not be able to use apps (either Apple ones or 3rd party ones) that rely on iOS 5.x onward..

Hopefully you got this iPhone 3G for free, in which case it's perfectly fine..if you paid anything for it, you got robbed..;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Originally, iBooks was available as a separate download on the 3G with iOS 4, but doubtful that the newer versions of iBooks will work with it.

Get the Kindle app instead and buy your books from Amazon. You'll be able to read those on any device whether a Mac, Windows machine, iOS or Android device. With iBooks you are limited to iOS devices only - can't even read them on a Mac.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried the Kindle app, and it didn't work either. After much digging and research, I did get the BAM (books a million) app to install, and it works well.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...And thanks "Razorsedge" for the nice positive response. Obviously, you haven't been on ebay looking at iphones lately. They seem to hold their value. Even broken ones that you would think would be worthless are fetching $50 or better. This iphone will function well for my first smartphone.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
...And thanks "Razorsedge" for the nice positive response. Obviously, you haven't been on ebay looking at iphones lately. They seem to hold their value. Even broken ones that you would think would be worthless are fetching $50 or better. This iphone will function well for my first smartphone.

The problem is that things like cellphones are "consumed" a lot faster than computers are, so while they may retain their value (and that's bound to change sooner rather than later), their "value" is very little when you want to use it with the latest version of iOS (for example) or something else..

So while the 3G is a good smartphone to get your feet wet with, as you've already found out you can't readily use the latest versions of iOS or apps because they don't support the older phones anymore. Some of these requirements are based on hardware capabilities (as far iOS is concerned), but when it comes to apps..it's mainly due to the lack of availability on the developers part to be able to test their apps on the older devices..so they just opt to support (and test) on the newer devices..

Either way..enjoy your iPhone 3G..:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.