Question about cloning hard drives between computers...

Reaction score
I have a 500 GB Snow Leopard Partition on my 1 TB Mac Pro hard drive that I want to copy to my 2007 Macbook Pro 120 GB drive.

Is this possible? I think the Mac Pro (2,1) is 64 bit, and the Macbook pro is 32 bit. Would it make a difference? I am planning on using superduper or carboncopy cloner.

Advice please!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you are thinking of moving the operating system from a Mac Pro to a Macbook Pro, it most likely will not work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
A
Reaction score
I just want to clone the hard drives, including all programs, files, etc. Just want to basically run Snow leopard from my mac pro on my macbook pro.

Before I do this, I was planning on cloning the macbook pro to another hard drive to put in my mac pro. I bought a computer that has some applications that I would like to use on my macbook pro. And I don't have too much space left on my macbook pro so I would like to clone the macbook pro drive (120GB) to a bigger (250 GB) partition. Just kind of swapping them.

I'm not familiar with migration assistant. I will have to look into that. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your problem will be different drivers etc installed for MacBook Pro and Mac Pro. The best idea would be to use the Snow Leopard disc, subject to it being a retail install version and not one that came with a computer such as the MacBook Pro, and install the operating system and as louishen says use Migration Assistant to transfer everything over.

If the snow Leopard disc is a silver grey model specific disc, your best option may be to purchase Snow Leopard from Apple online for $19.99 which includes postage.

Be aware that the 'applications' on the computer you purchased are not legal if the discs and activation code did not come with the machine. Larger applications such as Microsoft Office and Adobe will not migrate but will need re-activation before you can use them. Some sellers use this tactic to make it appear the computer is worth much more that the selling price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Maybe I am missing something, but what is wrong with buying the correct Snow Leopard install media for your MacBook Pro ?
Also, I am not sure how legal your proposal really is.

Cheers ... McBie

Looks like Harry can type faster than me. :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Hmm, I was always under the impression that you can clone hard drives with the macs and swap them easily. I guess that's not the case? I'll have to talk to a buddy of mine who is a mac certified tech.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
You can clone a hard drive and swap drives ..... within the same Mac.
Have a chat with your buddy and let us know, we can all learn from each other.
Also verify if it is legal what you are doing.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.