iPad 3 vs iPad 4

Reaction score
The Apple store has returned 3's for about $370. Is the any reason to spend the extra for the 4?
I didn't look too deep but looks like the major difference is the processor? Both have the retina screen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only "real" difference between the models is that the iPad 4 has a much faster processor. The capacities and screen are exactly the same. I guess it depends on how fast you want your iPad to be. I'm perfectly satisfied with the speed of my iPad 3.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Will add that I like the Lightning connector, but I certainly wouldn't switch or pay a lot just for that.

C

chas_m

Actually, that's not true.

The primary differences between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4 are a 2X faster processor, a 2x faster GRAPHICS processor, 2x the amount of RAM. Also, the front-facing camera has been upgraded, the wi-fi is now dual-band for significantly better speed, and of course if you buy the cellular-equipped model you can use LTE -- which for many people is actually faster than their home connection.

Whether you think these things are worth the $130 difference between the 3 and the 4 is your own decision, but at least now you know what the real differences are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
In the US - LTE was available on the iPad 3 also. (Not sure of worldwide stats)

The 4 is definitely noticeably faster when sitting next to the iPad 3. Just like computers - if you get the 4 you are future proofing yourself for some extra money - that being said my kids are still running the iPad 1 and many of the apps (including the most intensive games) still run albeit slower than the newer iPads.

Even if the RAM was upgraded - I still had crashing with some apps - including the App Store when I tried viewing my purchased items (I have a lot of Apps) but probably not as many crashes as on previous versions of the iPad.

C

chas_m

In the US - LTE was available on the iPad 3 also.

You're right, my mistake. The third-gen iPad had LTE that was compatible with the bands in used in North America, but not with the bands used in most other countries. So it was TECHNICALLY capable of LTE but unless you lived in NA, not really. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If I were buying new definitely the 4 if I had a 3 then I would wait for forced obsolesce to make my upgrade decision.
I came from an iPad first gen to a 4 and what a difference in speed and picture besides being upgradable with newer iOS.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And at the rate Apple is refreshing the iPad, you may as well wait for the iPad 5 or iPad Mini # 2. :$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
And at the rate Apple is refreshing the iPad, you may as well wait for the iPad 5 or iPad Mini # 2. :$

This is what I'm thinking of doing, but I wonder if a refresh will come in March/April as it was with the iPad 1 - 3, or if the latest iPad has set a new annual refresh rate. I'm in the market for a new iPad, but not sure I want to wait 8 or 9 months. I wouldn't mind waiting 2 or 3 more months if it means an even better/faster iPad.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you believe the rumors from the local rags and internet mills, it appears Apple is planning on refreshing the iPad line every 6 months. That may sound extreme, but with all the tablet craze going on, it makes sense from a business perspective.

C

chas_m

It's a silly internet rumor I wouldn't put much stock in. I don't agree that there is any "tablet craze" going on -- the iPad line is still CRUSHING everything else in all size categories. The Surface is officially a huge flop.

The Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 will continue to do modestly well, but there's NO sign of any serious shift away from iPad. So there's no particular fire to get another one out very quickly.

I'd guess fall for the iPad "5," I think Apple reset the iPads on purpose to become hot xmas presents and that worked gangbusters, so the next significant refresh will likely come next fall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'd guess fall for the iPad "5," I think Apple reset the iPads on purpose to become hot xmas presents and that worked gangbusters, so the next significant refresh will likely come next fall.

That's pretty much what I was guessing. I suppose we'll all know for sure by April.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
I have an Ipad 2 and an Ipad 4. Sure i can tell the difference but not appreciatively. Plus I hate the lightning connector. Mine is hard to get inserted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have an Ipad 2 and an Ipad 4. Sure i can tell the difference but not appreciatively. Plus I hate the lightning connector. Mine is hard to get inserted.
I think the days of large bulky connectors are over and really have been on a diet since HDMI.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.