2011 mbp mini display port to HDMI audio issue.

Reaction score
Hopefully someone here can help with my issue.
I have the early 2011 15" MBP with a similar cable (linked below) but cannot get audio out. For me, I see my Samsung TV in the audio preferences but it is greyed out. Some googling around has pointed me to the "configure Audo HDMI setup" option and the audio options under system preferences. None of these have worked. I'm willing to buy a new cable if its an issue with this particular cable... Any advice is appreciated?
Actually, I think I'm going to post this as a new post see if I can get help.

(Amazon.com: Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Female Adapter Cable for Apple Macbook, Macbook Pro...: Computers & Accessories)

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi all.
Hopefully someone here can help with my issue.
I have the early 2011 15" MBP (V10.7.5) with a mini display adapter cable (linked below) but cannot get audio out. For me, I see my Samsung TV in the audio preferences but it is greyed out. Some googling around has pointed me to the "configure Audo HDMI setup" option and the audio options under system preferences. None of these have worked. I'm willing to buy a new cable if its an issue with this particular cable... Any advice is appreciated?

(Amazon.com: Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Female Adapter Cable for Apple Macbook, Macbook Pro...: Computers & Accessories)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Some of the early mdp to HDMI cables did not support audio out because the Mac did not support audio out until the 2010 models.

You can not rely on the reviews at Amazon related to these adapters any longer. They have combined the reviews together from different adapters from the ones that didn't support audio, the ones that do and from different manufacturers all under the same items.

The one you have linked to does not mention any audio support in it's specs. It is very likely it is an older model that will not work. An adapter that supports audio will specifically note that it supports audio. Would suggest heading to monoprice.com in lieu of Amazon for this particular adapter if you're not going to pay for a name brand.

However, if you are using Chrome and youtube while this is happening, re-boot your machine and try it prior to opening Chrome. A Chrome and youtube combo have an issue shutting down the sound.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And, please do not cross post. Both of your threads have been merged together here.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi chscag, thanks for the reply. I will be using this to stream music/videos to my TV directly from my desktop (possibly Itunes).

I will check out monoprice as you mentioned.

Thanks again.

OP
J
Reaction score
I just realized, it does work. I went to Bestbuy and bought the "rocketfish" cable which wouldn't work either and it clearly states it supports audio out.

In all cases I was trying to play a movie through QuickTime to TV. I tried using iTunes and it worked for both adapters. So it has to be something with QuickTime.... right?

I prefer QuickTime as it supports avi format. Is there a way to get this working?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.