iMac 27" suddenly making high frequency noise when LED is set to high brightness?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac 27" Intel i5 Processor, 16Gb RAM, 10TB HD (9TB External) , 2 x iPhone 5, 2 x iPad Retina
Hi,

Ok, yesterday I started to hear my iMac making a high pitched noise (coming from top left corner) which is more prominent if you stand behind the mac and worse still if you stick your ear above the iMac where the vents are.

This noise only started yesterday and the only way to stop it is to turn the brightness down, so it is clearly related to the LED screen.

I have looked into this already and on another forum they talk about it being an issue with the coils on the LED board.

My question is does/has anyone ever come across this and is it something apple should repair without cost even if outside of warranty as there is no way a fault like this is acceptable after just 18 months.

Also does anyone know if this can be repaired and how much it would cost me if I did have to pay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
Exactly same here, got progressively worse over time. Ended up having the main power board replaced. Makes sense, if you consider that power consumed is related to screen brightness.

I have AppleCare, so replacement did not cost me anything, but I assume it is not cheap if you have to pay for it yourself...

Thymen

OP
welshred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac 27" Intel i5 Processor, 16Gb RAM, 10TB HD (9TB External) , 2 x iPhone 5, 2 x iPad Retina
I guess it could well be power supply related.

Don't suppose anyone knows how much a replacement power supply unit costs and if it's easy enough to do yourself?

Same for an LED board, how much does a board cost. I am capable of installing it myself.

The noise is not only apparent when the brightness is up but when I am woking it goes up and down depending on screen activity (changing webpages etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
The noise is not only apparent when the brightness is up but when I am woking it goes up and down depending on screen activity (changing webpages etc).

Exactly my experience, so my bet is on the power board...

Thymen

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless you're technically able and have the right tools, you might want to have the work done by Apple. An iMac is a difficult machine to do any work on. The entire front display must be removed before being able to gain access into the machine. You can get some idea of what's involved by going to the ifixit web site and look up the instructions for changing the hard drive in your iMac. It pretty much involves the same steps and procedures.

iFixit: The free repair manual

OP
welshred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice, it's because of ifixit that I am willing to do it myself as I had already seen how to do it through there youtube channel.

What I don't know is how much the part(s) will cost.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
welshred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the links but I am in the UK

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Being in the UK shouldn't be a problem if an American parts supplier is willing to ship it to you. May cost a bit more though. Sorry, I don't know of any parts suppliers in the UK. Perhaps someone like "techiesteve" who posts here can help out. He's an Apple certified repair technician based in the UK. Send him a PM and ask.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.