Music notation in GarageBand

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I'm new to garageband, but not to music. I love the seeming versatility of garageband, but I'm used to composing using a score, not just two piano lines. However, two piano lines is all I see right now. Ideally, I'd like to view and hear the piano part while writing a part for synthetic bass on a new blank line just below. I'd then like to add other instrumentation line by line - while viewing and hearing the previous. Is this possible in garageband?

thanks much and Happy New Year

Skis n Songs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
I don't think it's possible in GarageBand. Logic Pro can do that but even then, it's a pain in the butt.

You need either Finale or Sibelius. That's what they're designed to do and it's incredibly easy and streamlined on them. I used to use Finale a LOT so I know for a fact that it can do what you want. I tried using Logic's score editor and I just about pulled my hair out. It's cumbersome and it's obvious it was just an afterthought on the program.

OP
S
Reaction score
Finale instead of Garage Band

Hi Adric,

Thank you for your thoughts. Does Finale allow me to then play the 'orchestrated' arrangement? Does it have the various types of instruments, etc.? Can I then import it back to Gargage Band? Would I want to do that?

Appreciate your thoughts,

Skis N Songs

OP
S
Reaction score
Finale instead of Garage Band

Wow,

I wrote too soon. It looks terrific. I'm ordering it now.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Haha great! I think you'll love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.