Restoring non-time machine backup.

Reaction score
Hello, all.

So I've screwed my MacBook up and am making a copy of the entire hard drive on an external disk. As the OS is bad, I'm not using time machine. I just selected all the files on the hard drive and dragged them over to the external.

I'm going to reinstall the OS (Snow Leopard if I can find the disk, if not, Leopard) and want to get my old stuff back. Supposing the OS loses my files, how do I replace the clean hard drive in the computer with my backup? Do I merely drag and drop everything and rewrite all the files?

Thanks so much,
KP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can certainly try it that way, however, keep in mind that any program which uses a complex installer probably won't work. Make sure you have the original disks or images of those types of programs in case you need to reinstall them from start.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.