Automator Q - grab particular files and move to dropbox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
I've tried looking through some of the automator websites, but truthfully I'm not savvy enough to understand what I'm reading.

I download .tpx files (garmin) multiple times a week from Garmin Connect, and I'd like those files to automatically go into my coach's dropbox. Previously, I've just used a separate browser to do this, and had set up that browser's download preferences to download right into the dropbox. I'd love to set it up in automator if I can figure out how.

Ideally --> I download .tpx file into "downloads" -- (can automator run in the background at all times?) -- when a .tpx file is found in the download folder, it is automatically moved to a dropbox file.

seems easy enough. anyone want to take a stab at it?

gracias in advance!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I might be able to work this out. If you want Automator to move the files that you download that should be fairly straightforward. I'll have to see what Automator actions are available for DropBox. Haven't experimented with that yet.

If you want the browser to find the files that may/may not be possible. I would need a kind of "walk through" of the procedure you are using now set by step? There are a few things it would be helpful to know. Does the download url remain the same or does it change each time based on say some search criteria?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This shouldn't be all that hard - use Automator's folder action functionality. You can use that to move the files when they are added to that folder. However, I'm not sure if you can set wildcards for extensions in Automator. I'll leave this one to Sly but it might be worth looking at.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You and I were thinking along the same lines. I don't see something in my Library that searches by filetype but it can probably be done.

Since we know the extension I an going to try to get Automator to locate the files based on that. Maybe when I am a little more awake.

BTW thanks for leaving me the easy part. lol

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
BTW thanks for leaving me the easy part. lol
Haha, anytime. :p

So, an easy way to start is to create a folder action, point it to the folder that collects the downloads and then add a "Move Finder Items" action:

Screen Shot 2012-12-28 at 10.57.38 AM.png

This works wonders but does not differentiate on the basis of extensions. However, you can filter by type by adding the following action:

Screen Shot 2012-12-28 at 11.04.09 AM.png

That should do what you want.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
thank you all for your help! i've gotten it set up, so as soon as the garmin site comes back online, i'll be able to test it out.

Thanks!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the meantime, test it out with a different extension to make sure it works.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like you cracked it without even breaking a sweat Van. Haven't tested it yet but it should work.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
So I may just be a dummy, but I keep getting the same error -- The action "...." was not supplied with the required data (for both Filter Finder Items and Move Finder Items). There are files in the download folder at the moment, and everything else is set up in the same way that the images are selected. Am I missing something?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you create it as a folder action and set the appropriate folder?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.