macbook cracked screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G
I need to do a clean install of my macbook 2009 running snow leopard, it has a cracked screen, I am using a external monitor & cannot access the command line,can someone please help me with a command to access the c prompt.
I am not even sure if you can do it with a external monitor,my macbook screen is to damaged,any help would be much appreciated.

thanx in advance...

Reaction score
There is no c: prompt on a mac . Why do you need to have command line? To do a clean install of snow leopard insert the disk and when you start it up hold the option key down while it starts up, this is the boot options screen. Select your snowleopard disk and then use disk utilities to erase and format the hard drive. If you want to go to a command line like in single user mode you can hold the cmd+s down while its starting up.

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am using the macbook in clamshell mode,when i do the command/ c i do it on the macbook
but will not show up on the external monitor..any ideas

thanx in advance..

From your initial post you mentioned that your goal is to reinstall Snow Leopard (OS 10.6). If this is the case...all you need to do is boot the computer wih your Snow Leopard install disk...and follow the onscreen instructions.

All of this "confusion" with wanting access to a "c" prompt is not necessary.:)

- Nick

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From your initial post you mentioned that your goal is to reinstall Snow Leopard (OS 10.6). If this is the case...all you need to do is boot the computer wih your Snow Leopard install disk...and follow the onscreen instructions.

All of this "confusion" with wanting access to a "c" prompt is not necessary.:)

- Nick

sorry if there is any confusion i need to do a clean install,i cannot boot into the s/l cd because i am using the exterrnal monitor,i need to erase my hd,no matter what i try, i restart hit option key i can see movement on my laptop screen but i aint getting the cloned screen on my external monitor,i dont know if its because i aint booting into the hard drive to access the drivers to run the external monitor.
any help would be appreciated, thanx in advance..

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no c: prompt on a mac . Why do you need to have command line? To do a clean install of snow leopard insert the disk and when you start it up hold the option key down while it starts up, this is the boot options screen. Select your snowleopard disk and then use disk utilities to erase and format the hard drive. If you want to go to a command line like in single user mode you can hold the cmd+s down while its starting up.

thanx for your reply, i am sorry i got my commands mixed up,thats my problem i cannot get
the boot options on my external monitor i am getting the blank screeen on my external monitor..i restart hit option key but no cloned image on my monitor..It might look like i will have to replace my screen before i can do a clean restore..

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be able to do anything with an external monitor that you can do with the MacBook's builtin display. Are you using your MacBook in "Clamshell Mode"?:

Mac notebooks: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

- Nick

Thank you guys for all your help i realy appreciate your posts,I have finally got my monitor to recognise my laptop I am in the process of erasing my hd & about to re-install S/L
thanx again..

Happy new year..

Paul..

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have ran into a problem,the s/l install has been hanging on 29 min for like 30 min,i don't know what has happened,any ideas would be appreciated..

Reaction score
I have ran into this a few times installing from a cd.
Sometimes the estimated time is far from the actual time it takes to do the install from disk. Give the mouse a few clicks and move it around to see if it will recalculate or catch up. If it continues to hang at 29 min it could be having a hard time reading the disk.
The actual install time from a dvd is close to an hour or even more depending on the system . If it continues to hang at 29 min you may have to remove the disk and be sure its clean and not all scratched up.

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have ran into this a few times installing from a cd.
Sometimes the estimated time is far from the actual time it takes to do the install from disk. Give the mouse a few clicks and move it around to see if it will recalculate or catch up. If it continues to hang at 29 min it could be having a hard time reading the disk.
The actual install time from a dvd is close to an hour or even more depending on the system . If it continues to hang at 29 min you may have to remove the disk and be sure its clean and not all scratched up.

Thanx for your post,Yes you were right,the cd i was using was pretty scratched up,so i
used another S/L disk & all went smooth as,so now my macbook is freshly installed &
running so much quicker,& I also threw another 2 g of ram into it up to 4 g of ram now.

happy new year.

Paul..

Reaction score
Now that you have the mac running again it would be a good idea to create a bootable usb stick to load snow leopard from. Get your self a 8 gig flash drive and format it to mac osx journalized using the guid format style.

Follow this tutorial for backing up your copy of SL on to a usb flash drive.
How to Create a Mac Snow Leopard USB Installer Disk

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that you have the mac running again it would be a good idea to create a bootable usb stick to load snow leopard from. Get your self a 8 gig flash drive and format it to mac osx journalized using the guid format style.

Follow this tutorial for backing up your copy of SL on to a usb flash drive.
How to Create a Mac Snow Leopard USB Installer Disk

Gr8 advice,will do,thanx for the link..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.