Power Mac g5 power supply fan size??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1: 3.2Ghz octo
I have a powermac G5 dual 2ghz that we have successfully converted to atx. I am not liking how loud the machine runs constantly so I am looking at buying different possibly smaller power supply fans. I cannot find the size anywhere.

What is the size of these?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First ip try SMCFanControl and see if that helps toning the fan down a little.

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First ip try SMCFanControl and see if that helps toning the fan down a little.

It wont quiet it down because now that they are hooked up to the atx power supply they are single speed direct wired. because the atx supply only supports a two pin fan

-Eddie

all of the other fans that run off of the logic board work fine and the speed changes regularly it just the two little power supply fans that dont go with the logic board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well maybe check out PC stores for a smaller fan.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may be able to buy super quiet ATX power supply fans at suppliers that sell them for gaming rigs. Most have Teflon bearings and are fairly expensive. You'll have to do some searching on line though. At one time, Best Buy sold them but that was long ago. Also, you may have to buy the entire ATX power supply to get one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a powermac G5 dual 2ghz that we have successfully converted to atx.

Anyway we can get a photo of this? Considering the drastically different shapes of the ATX and Powermac G5's power supply (the PM G5's power supply is flat and is in the bottom of the computer)...I'm wondering how the ATX power supply fits in the case.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyway we can get a photo of this? Considering the drastically different shapes of the ATX and Powermac G5's power supply (the PM G5's power supply is flat and is in the bottom of the computer)...I'm wondering how the ATX power supply fits in the case.

Thanks,

- Nick

I actually fit the ATX board into the original power supply case (with lots of room to spare). unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures but it ended up working really well, I have done this with a dual 1.42GHz DP MDD before to (that's what gave me the confidence to tackle this project). the g5 is essentially identical looking and functioning as with the original PS. the only odd thing is that apparently the front power light runs off of 25v (like the ADC) and wont light up do to the lack of a 25v rail on the atx supply. and of course that its a bit louder now because of the power supply fans running so fast. I was actually thinking of just wiring the fans to 5v. I think it would cool well enough and I have tested that the fan will start up with 5v.

-Eddie

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is NOT mine. but this person did the same thing as I did.

The only difference is I actually had to attach all of the original G5 board connectors to the supply.

this person did it for a hackintosh so they left the atx connections

new_psu_installed.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I actually fit the ATX board into the original power supply case (with lots of room to spare). unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures but it ended up working really well, I have done this with a dual 1.42GHz DP MDD before to (that's what gave me the confidence to tackle this project). the g5 is essentially identical looking and functioning as with the original PS. the only odd thing is that apparently the front power light runs off of 25v (like the ADC) and wont light up do to the lack of a 25v rail on the atx supply. and of course that its a bit louder now because of the power supply fans running so fast. I was actually thinking of just wiring the fans to 5v. I think it would cool well enough and I have tested that the fan will start up with 5v.

-Eddie

Very interesting. As you probably know much better than me...the ATX power supplies are usually very "traditionally boxy"...and the Powermac G5's power supply is long, and relatively flat & narrow. But I guess if the "guts" of the ATX power supply are extracted...maybe they are a lot less bulky.

My assumption (incorrectly) was that the ATX power supply was somehow "stuffed" into the upper section of the Powermac G5...and I just couldn't picture how it was going to fit. So great idea squeezing the ATX power supplies "guts" into the original Powermac's power supply case!:)

- Nick

p.s. Thanks for the photo...it definitely helps me see how it would work!;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.