Apple virgin with question on upgrading OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, Late 2011 Model. 500g HD, 16 Gigs RAM. Snow Leopard.
Hi Folks,

just bought a second hand 21 in iMac which has os 10.6.8 (snow leopard) on it. I am looking at upgrading to Mountain Lion as I see that I need 10.7 or higher to use iCloud.

My question is, If I upgrade will I have to reinstall all the apps I have spent the day setting up or can it do a clean install/upgrade without me losing anything ?

Cheers,

Mark S.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Nope, you can download the Mountain Lion update from the App Store and do the installation, it will not mess up any of your applications or documents.

You should, however, know that Lion and Mountain Lion have ceased support for PowerPC (or Universal) apps, so unless the app is purely an Intel one, it won't load anymore..

So take a peek at your applications to see if any of those are going to stop working when you upgrade..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh should have told us in your first post you had Snow Leopard. Advise stands use the SL disc to erase and format the hard drive, do a clean install and then upgrade to OS X.6.8 and purchase Mountain Lion from the App Store if you wish.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.