Adding songs to iPod Classic with iTunes 11?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I post my questions on discussions.apple.com on Christmas Day, so two days ago, and I also asked my questions over at Mac Rumors yesterday, and neither site got back to me. I don't mean to sound rude, but is it they don't have any answers? Or is it no one is interested in helping because we went through similar questions before, and I have a disability, and it's hard for me to understand? Anyway, I'm going to copy/paste my questions here.

php111
Dec 25, 2012 9:59 AM
Hi,
I have the 160GB iPod Classic. How do I add my songs/albums to my iPod using iTunes 11 the latest?
I also wanted to create playlists, and I'm having a hard time using iTunes 11, and when I plug in my iPod there are no songs listed in iTunes, and I don't see any playlists that I created using the prior iTunes version.
If my memory going correctly, so I am going to post in steps on how I did this with previous version. I really didn't even see the Auto Fill which I always use.
Let's say you create a playlist for Music1, or whatever, so would Music1 is the playlist you create, and it's the same name of an album.
1.) Hit the "+" sign, and type in the playlist name.
2.) Drag over the songs into playlist.
3.) copy/paste the artwork if you chose to download your own by selecting all tracks then get info.
4.) I used gapless playback because my songs are like they are singing like forever, and they are jam bands. So, highlight all tracks, and get info, and tick the box for gapless.
5.) select what playlist/where you want to Auto Fill from, and press Auto Fill.
It's simple enough. Could these steps be done in iTunes 11?
Thank you,

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for replying without giving anyone time. Will someone soon be replying to this thread?

OP
P
Reaction score
Would it even be recommended to downgrade from iTunes 11 to iTunes 10 without updating? Short answer of yes, or no? If yes, I'll get it done, and it would fix my solutions instead of waiting for replies which I'll never get from any forums. If its recommended, I'll install it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your question is difficult to answer because you haven't given enough information about what it is you did. You told us that you're using iTunes 11, but never mentioned anything about iTunes 10? How did you get to iTunes 11? Did you upgrade from iTunes 10?

If you upgraded from iTunes 10 to 11 all your music and playlists from 10 should still be there. Just attach your iPod Classic and they should sync. If you've done something else, you need to tell us what it is you did so we can try to answer your question

OP
P
Reaction score
I don't think I really did anything else. I didn't upgrade from 10 to 11. I completely did a fresh install of 11. I just tried again now with my iPod attached, and I don't see any playlists or music that I did using iTunes 10, but it's on my iPod. I'm not sure why?

OP
P
Reaction score
I might know what the problem is, and the same applies with Autofill, and I don't even see my iPod listed in the left. How do I make everything visable instead of everything hidden? I did a search for Autofill, and that is set to hidden, but in my case everything is hidden including my iPod name on the left.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't understand how you did a fresh install of iTunes 11? Did you upgrade your version of OS X? Whatever it is you did, you probably wiped out all your music and playlists from iTunes 10. The music and playlists are still on your iPod classic but now you can't get them back to iTunes without special software.

OP
P
Reaction score
I don't have OS X. I'm sorry that I forgot to mention. I have MS Windows 7. Uninstall iTunes 10, and then download iTunes 11, and then install that. What could we possibly do for me to start putting my music on my iPod with playlists? Restore iPod? Or what?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, same difference. When you uninstalled iTunes 10 from Windows 7, you wiped out your music and playlists. You're going to need software to get the music and playlists off the iPod Classic back into iTunes 11. Let me see what I can find for you......

Try this: CopyToy for Windows It's not free so make sure you find out how much it costs before downloading. It will work to transfer your music and playlists back into iTunes 11. Always make sure you have a backup of all your music and playlists before uninstalling or reinstalling Windows.

OP
P
Reaction score
May I ask if there are any free alternatives? Or any free solutions? I don't have a major credit card to order, and I also would like a free solution if possible. Sorry about that!

OP
P
Reaction score
OK, same difference. When you uninstalled iTunes 10 from Windows 7, you wiped out your music and playlists. You're going to need software to get the music and playlists off the iPod Classic back into iTunes 11. Let me see what I can find for you......

Try this: CopyToy for Windows It's not free so make sure you find out how much it costs before downloading. It will work to transfer your music and playlists back into iTunes 11. Always make sure you have a backup of all your music and playlists before uninstalling or reinstalling Windows.

Your link didn't work, but a Google search gave this link CopyToy iPod To Computer Transfer | Copy From iPod To PC | Transfer From iPod To Mac | Transfer From iPod To iTunes, and it looks free? I might try it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry my friend, I don't know of any free solutions. You might want to do some web searching though to see what you can find. Put this in your search:

senuti for Windows

OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry my friend, I don't know of any free solutions. You might want to do some web searching though to see what you can find. Put this in your search:

senuti for Windows

Please see post #11 the last post by me. Thank you.

OP
P
Reaction score
Please mark this thread as SOLVED.

Do you remember how I said its not visable? Well, in iTunes 11 it's not visable by default, but in iTunes 10 it was. So, just go to view, and then show sidebar. Well, at the top left with the very small arrow down button, then click that to show the menu, and then you will see view then show sidebar.

No, need for other software.

Sorry about that. I was use to it by default.

Thank you for your time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back and letting us know. Be sure to backup all your music and other iTunes files. Use the built in backup of Windows 7. It works real well but you'll need an external hard drive formatted to NTFS in order to use it.

Have fun.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.