iMac fan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Monterey 12.2 iMac 24-inch,2021 Apple M1 8GB
I have just installed 16 GB ram in my iMac (a Christmas Present) and as soon as I turned on the fan is really blowing. I have never hear it before, have I done something wrong or is the norm when using more ram. When I used the sleep mode the fan went off but a few minutes after booting up again the fan was blowing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved here to the appropriate forum.

Make sure you have installed the correct memory modules in your iMac. Since you didn't tell us anything about which iMac you have (model and year) we can't provide information about which memory is right for it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that but I was a bit panicky.I have an iMac 21.5" 2011 year . Earlier this year I upgraded from the standard 4GB to 8GB. I used the Crucial online investigator to interrogate my machine, I then ordered the 2X4GB memory recommended. Installed them without any problems' removing the original memory first . My wife thought it would be a good present so she ordered the 2X4GB memory using the information on the receipt form the other order,but as my earlier thread pointed out I had a problem. I have removed the two new 2X4GB memory and everything is back to normal. I did not relise that I had used the wrong Forum

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you either got some bad memory or the new modules weren't seated correctly. I have the same exact machine as you and when I upgraded my memory (purchased from OWC) I remember having a bit of difficulty getting them seated correctly in the tight slots.

Where did you wife purchase the new modules from? Since you have the receipt, I would call them and get an RMA (return merchandize authorization) and return it for a refund or new modules.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They were bought from Crucial, apparently my son did the same as I did (on my computer) while I was not looking I thought my wife had used the old bill. I will try again to see if the effect is the same after making sure they fit OK. So when fitted should my imac sound the same no fan noise at all?.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's right, no fan noise. The modules fit very snugly in an iMac. I had to use a soft cloth over my thumbs to get them seated correctly. Being an electronic tech and computer tech for many years, I knew they weren't seating right. Just be careful to apply downward pressure and make sure you're orienting them the right way. You should feel a click as they seat correctly.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought I felt a click when I installed them but as I said I will try again, as for myself I am mechanically minded very good with my hands but electronics are a black art to me. I will let you know how I get on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Double check the memory is actually Mac compatible. You can get memory with identical coding, one being high density modules for PC's and low density for Macs.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag I did as you suggested and reinstalled the new memory taking a bit more care this time and everything seems to be working OK. Thanks for the advice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, great. Thanks for posting back. I've installed and removed memory in numerous machines and my 2011 iMac was the most challenging because of the snugness of the module receptacles.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.