I hosed my machine

Reaction score
My permissions are dubious. I've tried everything I'm aware of....safe mode, repair permissions, key chain repair, PRAM, login as root and repair permissions etc...

I have now performed a fresh install and restored as root user. Guess what....the permission issues were back (duh). So i have a corrupt backup drive now.
I believe the only way this is going to be fixed is with an expert's intervention.

If anyone is willing, I will start a remote session to demonstrate your kung fu and how much better it is than mine.

thanks,
-kevin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What is that report from - AppleJack by chance as it does mention University of California, I think? Thought AppleJack was not compatible with Lion and Mountain Lion if that is what you are running. What permissions are you concerned about? If sudo etc in Repair Permissions don't worry about them.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

OP
K
Reaction score
What is that report from - AppleJack by chance as it does mention University of California, I think? Thought AppleJack was not compatible with Lion and Mountain Lion if that is what you are running. What permissions are you concerned about? If sudo etc in Repair Permissions don't worry about them.

Mac OS X: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore

That is a screen shot of the status of a Safe Boot as it progresses, (hold Shift-Command-V during start up (instead of just Shift).

At the writing of this reply, my issue is no permissions to view my Time Machine backup(s).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
At the writing of this reply, my issue is no permissions to view my Time Machine backup(s).

Assuming your Time Machine backups are stored on an external hard drive, have you tried doing a right click on the drive, select get info, go on down to the permissions box, and change them?

OP
K
Reaction score
Assuming your Time Machine backups are stored on an external hard drive, have you tried doing a right click on the drive, select get info, go on down to the permissions box, and change them?

The Time Machine backup is stored on an external drive. I have tried the 'right click, get info, give permissions, make (whomever) owner, Then apply permissions. I've tried as a user and as root. Bupkis.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can't access that external hard drive as root, it's likely hosed. If you don't need those backups, I would try reformatting the drive to see if you can get it to behave itself.

OP
K
Reaction score
If you can't access that external hard drive as root, it's likely hosed. If you don't need those backups, I would try reformatting the drive to see if you can get it to behave itself.

I can access the back ups with the root login. However, when I changed the permissions on the backup drive with the root login (it took four hours), the changed permissions did not stick.

How do I know this? I first reloaded OSx fresh on my machine. Second, I used the root login on my freshly loaded machine to access the Time Machine external drive. Third, I changed the permissions on the Time Machine backups on the external drive. Fourth, I used 'Get Info' to confirm the changes were saved (they weren't). Fifth, I used one of the backup files to refresh my machine anyway. Sixth, my machine was right back were i started except now I had two of every program in the applications folder. Seventh, repeat step one and consult the world for someone smarter than I.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.