Another GIMP/X11 problem

Reaction score
How many times can this be asked? I dunno - searched the forums and found nothing but almost the same problem and answers but not quite my problem. It is probably out there but I gotta try again -

I got a MacBook Pro for Christmas which I updated to 10.4.11 (getting SL tomorrow). Installed GIMP and of course it asked for X11 - researched, downloaded version for 10.4.11 direct from Apple. Tried to install and it stops at a message - This system does not need this update. GIMP wants me to select which application for X11.

Researched some more and have looked for X11 in utilities folder and it is not located there. Used finder to find anything with X11 in it. Looked in all the places people have suggested and files that might be related. Nothing. I do not have the installation disk for the OS. It must be somewhere since the package will not install. I have read the document that came with GIMP.

I have a basic understanding of UNIX and I know to never delete anything to do with core programs OR anything you are just unsure of what it might do or where it came from. So that is not the issue.

So I have researched on the net (which pretty much brought me here), cannot run GIMP, cannot install X11 (downloaded from Apple), cannot find X11, and just frustrated at the whole problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and sorry for bringing this up once again!

Reaction score
X11 is on the installation disks, which you do not have evidently. What you downloaded was probably a newer version which will not install or run.
If you're getting SL it should be on the installation disk, the correct version for SL. Just install it when you upgrade.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This may not help you much.... but GIMP is a royal PITA to install and get working right especially with an older version of OS X like Tiger.

You might wish to try Seashore instead which is based on GIMP but already has the Cocoa interface and much easier to get working. It's open source and free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.