MacBook Pro sound not working

Reaction score
I have already searched high and low for an answer to this. I have a mid-2009 MBP and I have no audio, its not working though the speakers or headphones. There is no light on in the headphone jack. I have already reset my PRAM as well. I also deleted the contents of the /Library/Preferences/Audio folder as instructed from another website.

I bought the laptop used knowing it was an issue, but I thought it would be a simple fix such as PRAM reset or the headphone jack trick. I have reinstalled OSX twice thinking it might have been a bad install. I'm running Mountain Lion, and everything is 100% up to date.

Any help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only other thing I can suggest is to try a SMC reset: LINK If that doesn't work, you may have a dead audio circuit which means a new logic board. You can also buy an external USB audio card and use it instead of messing with the logic board.

Reaction score
The sound to the speakers travels through the i/o magsafe board to the speakers. This is the board with the headphone jack on it. There are a couple cables that plug into this board for sound , 1 from the logic board and one from the speakers. This board is responsible for outputting sound to the headphone jack and speakers. It has a amplified circuit for the main speakers and a preamp circuit for the headphones.
I suspect that this board is probly at fault. The magsafe board can be changed seperatly from the main logic board , and for far chearper. Around 30 to 50 dollars for the board . I have purchased them on ebay used for 20 bucks.

OP
J
Reaction score
The sound to the speakers travels through the i/o magsafe board to the speakers. This is the board with the headphone jack on it. There are a couple cables that plug into this board for sound , 1 from the logic board and one from the speakers. This board is responsible for outputting sound to the headphone jack and speakers. It has a amplified circuit for the main speakers and a preamp circuit for the headphones.
I suspect that this board is probly at fault. The magsafe board can be changed seperatly from the main logic board , and for far chearper. Around 30 to 50 dollars for the board . I have purchased them on ebay used for 20 bucks.

I can't find one for my model Mac, could you post a link?

Reaction score
Darn sorry it was too early for me to respond to anything this morning I was sure it said you had a 2008 lol . The 2009 don't use the same design every thing is on the logic board . Sorry bout that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't find one for my model Mac, could you post a link?

That's because there isn't one. All circuitry is integrated on the logic board, see my other post above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.