Freezing up like whoa

L

lamike82

Hey everybody...so basically I've had my G5 dual 2.0 since they came out, never had any issues with freezing. All of a sudden, it's been freezing up on me like crazy. It started off every hour or so, then ever minute or so, and now it barely makes it past startup, if at all, before it locks up. I haven't added any new hardware lately. Software wise, the only thing I've put on any time recently was Final Cut Studio, but it was running for about a month perfectly fine before this business started, so I don't really feel its related. ANYONE have any ideas at all? It's so frustrating. Not sure if this helps anyone, but after it freezes, the fans start speeding up until they're going real loud and fast, and continue until I force a shutdown. Any thoughts or input would be awesome. Thanks everyone!
mike

Reaction score
Your not using a USB modem connection are you ?

Unplug all external connections and see if that helps. If it doesn't then I'd backup all your files and do a clean install. I've never had a mac freeze since OSX.

If the problem persists after the clean install then it could be a hardware problem. Run the hardware test CD that came with the machine.

OP
J

johnsonb07

Hold down C as the computer starts up and it will do a hardware check. Hope that helps narrow down what the problem could be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
insert the start up cd and hold down C as you start up. go to disk utility (under file in the installer) and repair disk and permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
From what you say it sounds like a definate heat issue with the processor, maybe the CPU fan has gone. Is there anyway you can check your fans?

OP
L

lamike82

Okay so i took it to the genius bar at the apple store, and they said it's def. a hardware issue, although everything checks out fine when I do the hardware check...they said it's probably one of the G5 processors, or the logic board, each costing about 600 to investigate and repair....and since there's no way to tell which of the 3 it is, I'd have to do all. This sucks! Has anyone else had something similar to this, or know a better way to narrow down or fix the problem? Also, what in sam **** would have randomly caused this???

Reaction score
I've never heard of such a problem, sounds like one of those things thats just bad luck. Could it have been a power surge ? I guess your no longer covered by Apple care ? Have a look at Apple trouble shooting section on their website. Thier should be some test LED's in the machine that maybe of help (at least their is on the iMac G5).

You must be gutted, my deepest sympathies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Try cleaning the CPU fan if you can, infact all the fans including your graphics card fan - I am almost sure this is an overheating issue. is there any way you can check voltages at all? Also, check the socket it is plugged into - do you use a good surge protector?

OP
A

akira

i live in indonesia and have exactly the same problem and the same machine. when i brought to the shop it started up just fine there...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I've got a dual 2.5 and mine locks up all the time. The log shows the second CPU core as being the culprit...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.