Renaming root/home directory

Reaction score
I resently purchased a used imac with mac OSX 10.6.8 operating system. I want to change the name of the home directory/folder. I followed all the instruction in help. logging in and unlocking user accounts> clicking login options> join >open directory utility window>Unlock directory utility window, then i am supposed to enable "root user" from edit menu, but i don't see a "root user" in the window to enable. Where is the Root user?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Enabling and using the Root User in OS X: Apple KB LINK

Before you proceed with changing the name of your home folder, make a complete backup of your entire system. Either use Time Machine or a program that will clone the hard drive. (Carbon Copy Cloner) If you somehow mess up, you will be locked out of your Mac. So be sure to make that backup first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes be very careful when enabling root user and changing your user name. We see a lot of people come here looking for solutions after getting locked out of there Mac.
As chscag posted make sure you make a complete backup just in case it goes haywire. Good luck and report back to us.
And welcome to the forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.