iMac won't boot up

Reaction score
I have an iMac I bought in 2007. It has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. It has 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I have OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I went to start iTunes yesterday and the computer locked up. I did a hard reboot and it brought up the Apple logo and the little spinning thing and a progress bar. It took about 10 minutes for the progress bar to finish, then it stayed at the spinning thing and never proceeded. I did another hard reboot and it did the same thing. I turned it off and unplugged the power, then plugged it back in and tried again. This time it got farther, and my desktop showed up, but it said it couldn't find the keyboard via bluetooth. I just put in new batteries a few weeks ago, but put new ones in again anyway. The green light comes on. But, it never found it. I did a hard reboot again, same result. I put the OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in and did a hard reboot. It wouldn't boot off it. I tried several times, getting the little spinning thing and a progress bar again. I let it sit for a half hour and then it finally booted off the CD. I tried to reinstall the OS, but it said it could not install the OS (I don't remember the exact wording). I did a hard reboot and now it pulls up a black box and says I need to reboot the computer by pressing and holding the button until it turns off, then pressing the button again. Every time I do that it pulls up that same black box again. The OS CD is stuck in the drive. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
There are 2 likely possibilities, a hard drive failure, certain faults can stop you booting from a DVD or external hard drive. The other possibility, if it is an aluminium 2007 model, is the video card. Sometimes they can screw up the OS booting. If it was mine I would remove the hard drive, or at least pull off the 2 connectors, then try booting from your install DVD. If the iMac then boots as expected, you likely have a defective hard drive. If it still fails to properly boot it will be time to take it to an Apple store or AASP for a quotation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17", 2.2ghz i7m, 8GB RAM, 750HDD, Rad 6750 1GB
Similar issue

I have an iMac I bought in 2007. It has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. It has 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I have OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I went to start iTunes yesterday and the computer locked up. I did a hard reboot and it brought up the Apple logo and the little spinning thing and a progress bar. It took about 10 minutes for the progress bar to finish, then it stayed at the spinning thing and never proceeded. I did another hard reboot and it did the same thing. I turned it off and unplugged the power, then plugged it back in and tried again. This time it got farther, and my desktop showed up, but it said it couldn't find the keyboard via bluetooth. I just put in new batteries a few weeks ago, but put new ones in again anyway. The green light comes on. But, it never found it. I did a hard reboot again, same result. I put the OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in and did a hard reboot. It wouldn't boot off it. I tried several times, getting the little spinning thing and a progress bar again. I let it sit for a half hour and then it finally booted off the CD. I tried to reinstall the OS, but it said it could not install the OS (I don't remember the exact wording). I did a hard reboot and now it pulls up a black box and says I need to reboot the computer by pressing and holding the button until it turns off, then pressing the button again. Every time I do that it pulls up that same black box again. The OS CD is stuck in the drive. Any ideas?

Hi

I have a similar issue with my iMac 24 too (see my post slightly after this one), though I get a different reboot scenario than you.

I ve tired the reinstall, managed to do that via the internet as purchased 10.8 but didnt sort the issue. Also tried to boot from recovery disk and that didnt work. To get dvd out I held down left mouse button on reboot until it ejected - so u could try to get your disk out that way.

I have a feeling that it is the logic board that has gone, but am hoping someone here can give me an idea from the info I provided in my attachment.

regards

Rob K

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.