Photo quality when uploading to photo publishing sites

Reaction score
Hello! I use photo publishing sites Shutterfly, Mixbook, and Picaboo to make photo books and calendars. i have noticed that for all of these sites since I switched to a MAC from a windows PC that the picture quality is greatly lessened when the items are printed. I use a Nikon DSLR camera, so I know it's not the picture quality from my camera. The files are being shrunk when uploaded to the sites. Can anyone tell me how to change the settings on this MAC so original file sizes are uploaded? BTW - I even made a calendar using the option in I-Photo and printed by Apple to see if the picture quality would be better and it wasn't. Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 13" MacBook Pro + 2012 21.5" iMac + 16GB iPhone 5 + 32GB iPad2
Hi Cknapp6,

What software are you using, iPhoto? and what software were you using on windows?

Do the photo sharing sites apply any compression when you upload pictures that may lower the quality?

I am a semi pro photographer and since switching to Mac have not noticed any change in quality. I you Photoshop CS5/6 and ensure that before sending any images to print, they are sized correctly with paper and/or ink profiles embedded.

Rgds,
Dave

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, I use I Photo now. When I was on Windows, I used Picasa. Some of these projects are made in conjunction with my sister in law who has Windows and uses a less powerful camera and her images when printed are still sharper than mine. As far as sizing goes, when the projects are created it's just a matter of loading them into the project. I'm not sure how I would even check sizing. Now I am wondering if I transferred the files to Google's Picasa on this computer if they would still be compressed when uploaded or if it is some setting in ios that is compressing them and it wouldn't matter anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 13" MacBook Pro + 2012 21.5" iMac + 16GB iPhone 5 + 32GB iPad2
Many if not all photo sharing / upload sites will compress pictures to save space, though most of these sites will use algorithms that minimalise the loss of any quality.

What I meant about sizing was that If I sell an A3 or 10x8 Print, before uploading the picture I ensure it is sized to A3 or 10x8 so that the printers do not have to do any cropping or chopping and the picture come to me as I expected it to.

Rgds,
Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.